Search results

1. Makar

Andy Serkis audiobook-reading

Corey is not on Shaws (or Serkis) side concerning the prenounciation of Illuvatar if i remember correctly.
  2. Makar

Elrond refuses to let Bilbo tell of his tale of giving up the Ring

Or it is just a matter of time. Bilbos story is not crucial to the meeting and there are lots of things to discuss. The narrator tells us that there are many more stories told but we are not told what they are, so it is a matter of sticking to the essentials. Bilbo is there, so there is plenty...
  3. Makar

Which is very strange since precisely that one is of the few criticisms of the prenounciations i have read about the (excellent) Martin Shaw reading too. I still have not gotten any further is my listening, i am highy doubtful that i will give Serkis any more chances.
  4. Makar

I have lately been listening to Andy Serkis reading The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Myself i have found them capable, but increasingy annoying. Firstly it was the fact that he was trying to sound like the actors in the movies, but that is understandable so i rolled with it, except Bombadil...
  5. Makar

22th of June is the date for the release of the Silmarillion audiobook. Let us all hope that...

22th of June is the date for the release of the Silmarillion audiobook. Let us all hope that Andy Serkis have learned to do villain voices this time...
  6. Makar

"brilliant piece of retcon"

Even better is the retcon that is in the Council of Elrond, Bilbo excuses himself that that the story with Gollum was not as he told before (which is the first edition of the Hobbit). Which makes the early editions of the Hobbit (before the retcon) part of the story and not strange or...
  7. Makar

Elrond: crowned with many winters

Was ut not originally (before the revision) "Kind as Christmas" ? If that helps..
  8. Makar

The snow on Caradras

Jeg regner med att du har bedre peiling på det enn meg :)
  9. Makar

Amazon series: Season 2 reactions to news and rumours. (Spoiler alert!)

No, she is not. How many spiders with beaks have you seen ? Lots of spidery attrrbutes, yes, Not in no way, shape or form "just a big spider".
  10. Makar

The snow on Caradras

Men akkurat det regelen har vel blitt forandret nå nylig vil jeg mene.
  11. Makar

The snow on Caradras

Ah, Fjellvettreglene :)
  12. Makar

Because they will butcher it horribly, it is hard enough for the SilFilm folks to get it right, i cannot imagine how the RoP will ruin this. Shelob in that videogame ,i want to erase it from my memory, is nothing in comparison.
  13. Makar

When did JRRT decide to give Boromir a shield?

My guess: he did not take it with him when running after Merry and Pippin (and he had no use for it when going after Frodo). The usefulness with snow is hotly ( hah!) debated elsewhere on this fine forum.
  14. Makar

well, that is a horrible idea (without watching the video)
  15. Makar

Homework: Why would the Valar not receive the Ring, according to Elrond?

The Valar did not re-shape the world. They laid down their guardship and called on Eru. And the only one that can work through Fate (concerning the ring and Bilbos finding it) are Eru. If i recall correctly Tolkien himself even said in a letter that Eru himself intervened and made Gollum fall...
  16. Makar

Adaptation: Significance of Temporal Precedence

Dennis Wheatleys "The Devil Rides Out" i saw after reading the book. Now, i am very fond of the book, but i find Hammers take on it very good. The scene with Mocata trying to hypnotice is almost impossible to capture on film, but i think they did a good job there. Even if they had to cut the...
  17. Makar

Nauglamír

iirc it is somewhat inspired by Brisingamen, if it may be of some help ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%ADsingamen
  18. Makar

Soundtrack LOL in Jackson's Return of the King

The way the books are written, vague in description, does not suit the movie i think. Not for me anyways.
  19. Makar

Soundtrack LOL in Jackson's Return of the King

Have not watched them for years and years. But i was not overly impressed when they came out. I mean, they are ok. But they seems so...ordinary and the modern day sensibilities shines through. Well done, by all means. It sounds like i hate them, but i do not..i have the extended (the only...
  20. Makar

Privileging morally correct actions over practical ones--Bret Devereax on "The Prancing Pony Podcast" this weekend

I do not think this a the matter here. I think Denethor is pointing to being soft on your enemies. "you always trieis to act like Lords of old" (or somerhing to that effect). If you show kindness to your enemies they will kill you is Denethors credo.
Back