Search results

1. EdythAldora

Call for Volunteers!

Hey! Emily Wagner from Denver, Colorado. I don't have any programming or technical expertise to offer. My skills lie more in writing, editing, and proofreading. I can make it sound nice, while the rest of you figure out how to get it online. :) I've been reading Tolkien since my friend...
  2. EdythAldora

Gandalf's Rudeness to Theoden

I feel like "dominion" means that from that point forward, the "dominated" one does only the bidding of his master. Once Gandalf releases Theoden from Saruman's influence, Theoden is then free to begin making his own choices and is no longer under Saruman's dominion. And thenceforth, Gandalf's...
  3. EdythAldora

Usage of "try to" vs. "try and"

"It was not enough for him to find his master, he had still to try and save him. He kissed Frodo’s forehead." From "The Tower of Cirith Ungol"
  4. EdythAldora

Further breakdown: Try and: Faramir 1 Frodo 5 Gandalf 3 Gollum 1 Merry 1 Narrator 1 Pippin 2 Sam Gamgee 1 Shagrat 1...
  5. EdythAldora

I did a quick whiz-thru of the digital text, and I found 18 "try and" and 25 "try to." I don't see any particular pattern of speaker or context, but statistics aren't my thing. I made a spreadsheet, though. It doesn't look like .xlsx is a supported file type for attaching, but I can email it.
Back