Search results

1. I

Finally here.

Just a short note. Since I can't seem to find an email address for Prof. Olsen (and as I think we've already established, I can be blind at times) I wanted to say I finally arrived at episode 185 this morning, after having watched 1) every episode 2) at normal speed, and 3) including the field...
  2. I

A general question about the episodes

As I've been working my way through the ELOTR episodes, I find some are missing. Sometimes I find them elsewhere in the episode stream, but sometimes I don't find them at all. Or maybe I'm not looking very well, as happened with episode 111. *shrugs* Anyway, I wasn't able to find episode 135 a...
  3. I

Seek for the Rhythm (ep. 133)

I just passed listening to episode 134, when Corey was looking at the rhythm of the poem that came from Gondor in a prophetic dream. This is how I worked out the rhythm, with "o" being a stressed syllable and "-" being an unstressed. o - - o - - o - o - o - - o o - - o - o - o - - o - o o...
  4. I

Another "Comment Not Question" for Corey.

I was considering buying a Kindle version of "Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit" yesterday in order to see how that printed discussion of The Hobbit compares with the online discussion of LOTR that is going on now. Imagine my surprise when I discovered I'd not only purchased the ebook but...
  5. I

Where, oh where, is 111?

Where is the eleventh-first episode of ELOTR? I'm following on the YouTube postings and can't find it. AM I BLIND? Please help.
  6. I

Back to episode 104

I intend to catch up with you around the middle of July, so my comments will be concurrent with the episodes by then. In the meantime, I wanted to give my impression of what the Last Homely House east of the sea means. Corey mentioned that the term "east of the sea" implies there are other...
  7. I

Frodo's blade back on Weathertop

Here's another question for Prof. Corey (or whoever can answer it): On Weathertop when Frodo puts on the ring, his sword, Sting, begins to glow with red flames. Why? I thought it glowed blue, and then only when orcs were nearby. Or does it glow with red fire in the wraith-world all the time...
  8. I

Not a question but a comment

I'm slowly catching up on ExLOTR (I'm on ep. 66 right now) and I must say I'm enjoying myself immensely. Two things that I especially want to thank you for: 1) the extra time you take to explain the origins and usages of many of the words 21st century people aren't always conversant with, e.g...
  9. I

A case of temporal whiplash

I'd like to take you back, if I may, to the last two months of 2017 when you were discussing Tom Bombadil. I've only just watched that section of Exploring LOTR on YouTube, and I have some observations that weren't mentioned at the time. (Maybe they have been by now. Please let me know if they...
Back