Search results

1. LadySchmebulock

Regarding Sam The Verbal Savage

So this is more of an observation than a question regarding Sam's wonderful little quips and nuggets of savage wisdom. There was some discussion if he might be the comic relief or is trying to keep Frodo's spirits up. I don't see it either way. I think Sam is just making honest comments...
  2. LadySchmebulock

Debates I Have With Friends: Was the Lord of the Rings films whitewashed?

Ok ok ok I’m not trying to stir up a political debate I swear I was talking to a friend and she made the comment about how the films were whitewashed. I disagreed with her saying that tolkien based most of the main peoples in the film that we visit and see on European cultures. I know he hated...
  3. LadySchmebulock

Post Sleeping Pills Midnight Thoughts About Elvish Bloodlines and Tolkien Ladies Girl Power

Okay right off the bat I am new to learning Tolkien's histories so 2019-2020 is my year of Tolkien reading so pardon any misunderstands I might have. But I heard on an episode of The Prancing Pony Podcast and if I am remembering correctly it is possible that Elves that have perished their souls...
  4. LadySchmebulock

Dreams down the willow rabbit hole

I’ve been reading ahead into The House of Tom Bombadil chapter and a few things strike me The first is the hobbit’s dream. Merry and Pippin’s reflect their near death experiences with Old Man Willow and Frodo’s dream is more of a cryptic vision though no less frightening to him than the...
  5. LadySchmebulock

The Valar Move in Mysterious Ways

There are two question/comments in this post, one, in particular, I want to mention, but I’ll get the lesser one out first. The more we read about the hobbits and their culture the more I am reminded of how country life was in the 1900s, in particular (because of Downton Abbey) the 19-teens...
  6. LadySchmebulock

"Honey, Just Because I Talk Slow Doesn't Mean I'm Stupid"

I've been wondering lately about willful ignorance of the majority Hobbits vs the Baggins family and Samwise. last class, we addressed Sam and Frodo's conversation about leaving the Shire and it sparked in my mind how Sam has always been very thoughtful and a deeper thinker than many would see...
  7. LadySchmebulock

A simple observation on the musical elves

This may be academic or mundane to say, I wanted to comment on the contrast between the elf song and the hobbits walking song. the hobbits sing in one group and their song seems to be for entertainment and encouragement along the road. Where the elves start off by singing in harmony and then...
Back