Search results

1. R

Errantry music

Listen to Gilbert and Sullivan’s “I am the very model of a modern major general” and then read Errantry. Life will never be the same. :p
  2. R

The Orc Problem

Good question. No idea. I can only imagine it would have come after long debate and a lot of similar philosophizing about what is and isn’t possible based on the facts known. I suspect the Elf message board was quite lengthy and have a mental image of everyone kinda rolling their eyes a lot at...
  3. R

Orcishness through a Human lens

I am, actually, rather happy with the Silmarillion as Christopher Tolkien published it. JRR Tolkien, never satisfied by anything he wrote down, may have continued to wrestle with different possibilities all his life but ultimately Christopher put together the manuscript he thought worked best...
  4. R

Orcishness through a Human lens

On the “Let’s talk about the course” forum there is a fascinating discussion going on regarding the orc problem, at my last count something like 167 replies, all of them awesome. Apologizing ahead of time for starting yet another thread on it, I would like to propose another take on the...
  5. R

Seek for the Rhythm (ep. 133)

I have no good argument for that, I was only thinking in terms of reflecting top to bottom, but I really like yours just as much. In fact yours with the emphasis on There rather than shall was how I originally and more naturally said it. It’s only in thinking that shall would emphasize a...
  6. R

I hear a very regular 3 strong beats in each line which seems to be the most important feature that ties me to a regular rhythm and informs my pronunciation. 1. SEEK for the SWORD that was BROken: 2. In IM-la-DRIS it DWELLS; 3. There SHALL be COUNsels TAKE-en 4. STRONger than MORgul-SPELLS...
  7. R

Here's a Youtube video with a quick reading of what I can best make of the pronunciation.
  8. R

Back to episode 104

I read it in a geographic sense during the first go but since then, in light of Frodo’s ultimate journey to Valinor for the healing he couldn’t find in Middle-Earth, I have attached a more metaphoric sense to it. The addition of “east of the sea” sounds to me like a late addition to the text of...
  9. R

Do Elves ever really do Estel?

Discussing Elrond's hard and unforeseen road, wherein lies their hope (if hope it be) got me wondering. It strikes me that the Elves of Middle Earth, in general, don't seem to be very good with Estel. The low Elves refused the summons to Valinor (didn't quite trust the Valar) and the returning...
  10. R

What exactly is Providence besides a city in Rhode Island?

Can it be studied within other frames? Most certainly, and one of the most surprising things to me about Tolkien has always been how much it inspires that. What is it about his writings that cause people from such diverse backgrounds to sit and talk endlessly about them, to try to deconstruct...
  11. R

What exactly is Providence besides a city in Rhode Island?

Hi Rachel, What an amazing question. I know any reply will be inadequate, but this might be a useful place to start. Your feeling about Christian theology being called in is correct. You are feeling what is most definitely there. I will out myself as a Catholic here, as was Tolkien, and I...
  12. R

Elrond: More sentimental than Machiavellian?

I'm with you too on this. I haven't been fond of reading this whole council as Elrond having a definite conclusion that he's leading people to. If Elrond is indeed as wise as I think he is, he would listen to the information revealed in the council with an open mind and come to a judgment...
  13. R

Homework: Why would the Valar not receive the Ring, according to Elrond?

My 0.01 GBP... As a reader I never thought to question Elrond on this. Could that be the simple answer? When one has found someone to be a truth telling thing, especially over something like 6,000 years, the Elves simply seem to trust his judgment on the matter. And I think for the elves...
  14. R

Homework: Why would the Valar not receive the Ring, according to Elrond?

I'm very much in agreement with JJ48. Elrond is known for his understanding of both past and future. He seems to have an intuitive sense of the "flow" or direction of things, how the eddies of fate are helping push things in a certain direction. So in a sense, he does know that Fate is...
  15. R

Sauron as he should have been

By "realm" perhaps a better definition for how I am intending it here would be "the particular contribution of a sub-creator to the whole". It is that which the creature added to the whole and helped bring into being through their inspiration and sub-creative act. It is their own particular...
  16. R

I love that reading! And we're in definite agreement that an unfallen Sauron should have made a really good teacher and inspired a lot of great works. Mordor as an artisan's colony, perhaps? That's an awesome thought. Sauron and Bombadil are definitely not personality-wise or interest-wise...
  17. R

Hello all, First time posting here. I've been working to get caught up for a year and a half and I'm finally there! It's good to be finally joining you all for the conversation. Since we are about to be going through similar questions in the text I thought now would be a good time to bring...
Back