Search results

1. MattfromWI

Privileging morally correct actions over practical ones--Bret Devereax on "The Prancing Pony Podcast" this weekend

Listening to The Prancing Pony Podcast this weekend, I thought their guest Bret Devereaux (@BretDevereaux on twitter) made a really good point about how morally correct actions are privileged over practical ones. I thought it was so good that I transcribed it, and I thought you all would enjoy...
  2. MattfromWI

Session 198, “Counting Days in Rivendell” Takeaways

Only got a few bites on last week's idea to have a comment thread in which classmates can post their insights and takeaways from each episode--because in class itself, between trying to pay attention to the Professor and the class I invariably feel that I miss some great perspectives--but I'll...
  3. MattfromWI

Would anyone else be interested in a thread of community takeaways of each episode?

Maybe what I'm proposing would be too much like the episode summaries. Let me know in the comments. But I am suggesting this because during class, I am usually not able to keep up with all the insights from the commenters. While I do listen to the episode podcasts when they are released, and...
  4. MattfromWI

Alternative Theory on Wizard Colors

So I'm still catching up a bit, and I just finished the episodes where Prof Olsen recharacterizes the Wizard colors from marks of hierarchical status (understood like karate belts) to signals of each Wizard's particular discipline or role. As I understand it, the class decided that the...
  5. MattfromWI

Did we miss Aragorn's vision of kingship?

I am one of the many, I'm sure, who is working feverishly to catch up. I just finished Episode 138, in which you and the group discuss the exchange between Aragorn and Boromir (the first one) during the Council of Elrond. In your discussion of Aragorn "casting" his sword on the table and in the...
  6. MattfromWI

Aragorn and Boromir, round 1 - Aragorn's gentle offer of Kingship

I am one of the many, I'm sure, who is working feverishly to catch up. I just finished Episode 138, in which Corey and the group discuss the exchange between Aragorn and Boromir (the first one) during the Council of Elrond. I can't wait to join the podcasts real-time, but until then, I wanted to...
  7. MattfromWI

The purpose of the Eärendil poem (all that tarrying)

This podcast is the highlight of my week; I am many episodes behind and am looking forward to catching up (and participating in the discussions)! I just listened to the six-episode extravaganza discussion of the Eärendil poem in “Many Meetings” and I am interested in an undiscussed link between...
Back