Search results

1. K

Nature of Middle-Earth - on Eol's "immorality"

If I try to follow the thought of Tolkien (difficult), I think he may be making a distinction between the original elves and those who followed. He explicitly defines evil as "heritable". In the case of humans, whether in his world or ours, the evil is committed in the first generation. There...
  2. K

San Giovanni and Baptism

Corey prompted my curiosity last week over baptism. I have some knowledge of current practice, but that has only limited applicability here. I have done some poking about and unearthed some info. Not all of it has authoritative sources that I have found. Baptism in the Roman Catholic Church was...
  3. K

Of Sheep and Shepherds

So the elves are neither the sheep nor the shepherds, but might they possibly be llamas -who are not sheoherds but are often used to help guard the sheep?
  4. K

New England Moot: September 29, 2019!

It was necessary to pick between early on Saturday or a Monday tour for the Emily Dickinson Museum. I am sorry. We can see the archives in Special Collections at the library at one. Emily Dickinson and Robert Frost. That is free. I haven't set up a group visit to the Montague Book Mill, but it...
  5. K

New England Moot: September 29, 2019!

Who is planning to be in Amherst on Saturday? Who is planning on doing the Emily Dickinson Museum in the morning and the Dickinson/Frost Archives in the afternoon? What about dinner at the Hanger Saturday evening?
  6. K

I got a beef with Notion Club Papers and nowhere to put it

Another comment on Notion Club Papers. Hallucinations can in fact come from one part of the brain to another. When vision is lost in an individual who has previously had it you can get Charles Bonnet Syndrome. Diagnostic criteria and clinical features Though no universally approved diagnostic...
  7. K

Legolas

I would like to nominate Ross Magnant. He is young and has done mostly theater. He has done several roles with the Bay Colony Shakespeare Company including both Hamlet and Puck. He has also played Kultura in Kultur's Mime. Link to picture...
  8. K

On Tom

A thought that hit me as I was listening to episode 34. When Frodo asks Goldberry who Tom is, she gives a relational answer. He is "master". She does not choose to use his relationship to her. Not "my husband". She does not even choose to define master of whom. Frodo chooses to take it as...
  9. K

Leaving without causing a huge fuss

The more I think about it the more convinced I become that the Gaffer knows a good bit. I think they used the fuss over Sam leaving as a smokescreen. He worked for Bilbo all his life. If he were told they were going after Bilbo it would have gained his cooperation. Doesn't explain what Sam saw...
  10. K

Leaving without causing a huge fuss

I started mulling over the conspiracy and Sam's involvement and went back and read again the relevant chapters. It seems to me that the person most problematic in getting out of the Shire without causing the whole place to erupt with gossip is Sam. That Sam would listen strikes me as not...
Back