Search results

1. E

He armoured him

I'm not a poetry person, but I would agree with your assessment. Bilbo is saying that Eärendil arrayed himself in chain mail, or at least that was the type of armor he was known for wearing. It's just phrased oddly to match the meter and rhyme scheme. The only character that we have in the...
  2. E

Quick question about how to destroy the Ring

In the parts of the council the reader is privy to, no Gandalf does not explicitly say it. I would guess that Gandalf probably said something in the omitted parts of the council. Or Frodo relayed the whole conversation between him and Gandalf when he gave his part of the story. By Elrond's...
  3. E

Wise groups

Jim's response pretty much sums up how I feel about it. I say frustrating because of course you want to know, it provides the impetus for us to even ask the questions in the first place. But that is what makes it great; because the mystery is always kept alive and arguably makes the story worth...
  4. E

Alternative Theory on Wizard Colors

Great thoughts, I would just like to put out there options C and D don't necessarily have to be mutually exclusive. It's possible that there's a little bit of what came first, the role or the style? There may have been a loose idea of the role, and the person who filled it would need that kind...
  5. E

Wise groups

Coming in late, great thoughts about individual vs collectivism wisdom. Going back to an earlier point though, my thoughts on the "how do Elrond and Gandalf know?". Something both great and frustrating about Lord of the Rings is that we never get the "all is explained" scene. Gandalf when asked...
Back