Search results

1. Tarlonniel

Book Selection

When the time comes, you'll get an e-mail with instructions and a link to the forum where nominations are posted.
  2. Tarlonniel

The rich and successful merchants

I'm trying to remember how the actor read those lines in the radio version. I think he played it completely straight, using the exact same tone as he did for all the other Guide entries. I think it's funnier that way, with no commentary on all these ridiculous events in either word or tone from...
  3. Tarlonniel

Slartibartfast

Huh. I don't get any hints at "utter filth" from the name, just a vaguely juvenile fart-joke atmosphere. In fact, I could almost think it's a rather nice name, but then, I think "foonting turlingdromes" sound almost rather nice too...
  4. Tarlonniel

Consider this the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Forum

Hey, you get the jokes you pay for. If you want the good stuff, I'll be performing at Milliways in a million millennia or so - drop on by! The cover charge is very reasonable.
  5. Tarlonniel

Well, whaddya know. I estimated the probability of my guess actually being right at 2 to the power of 8675309.
  6. Tarlonniel

I've never seen a probability expressed in powers of two; binary operates on powers of two, but I can't think how that would be relevant here. My wild guess is that phone numbers in that area in that era started with 2.
  7. Tarlonniel

Hooray! Now we can properly address all the hottest Hitchhiker's Guide- related topics, such as "What was the question again?" and "Just how bad was the movie, anyway?"
  8. Tarlonniel

Will there be a Forum for H2G2?

I think he's referring to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I've sometimes seen abbreviated as HG2G.
  9. Tarlonniel

The Ringwraith's Song

The horror! Some things are best left untranslated! :eek: But this isn't one of them, it's awesome. Two undead thumbs up.
  10. Tarlonniel

You know you’re a story-maker when...

How about when your brain wakes you up at 2:30am with a brilliant idea for a scene which has to be written down right now right now get up and write it down now! Stupid brain...
  11. Tarlonniel

The Ranger and the Forester

Being a Record in Verse of a Meeting between Aragorn and Tom Bombadil which Took Place in the late Third Age of Middle Earth Along the Withywindle's banks, Through the reeds and flowers, While the sunlight softly sifted Into leafy bowers, The ranger and the forester Walked and talked for hours...
  12. Tarlonniel

Elves, Samuel Johnson and "Relatability"

Given Dr. Johnson's insistence on biography as the be-all and end-all of literature, I'm not surprised to hear that he was down on fantasy stories; nevertheless, I will continue to love fantasy and avoid biography like the plague - forgive me, doctor (and Boswell). I'd like to read exactly what...
  13. Tarlonniel

Elves, Samuel Johnson and "Relatability"

When I read the following passage from Rambler #60, I was reminded of the current demand for "relatable" characters in literature which has been remarked upon in several Mythgard lectures on Tolkien's works, and also of our recent discussions on the nature of Elves: "All joy or sorrow for the...
Back