Search results

1. S

7 Stars of Elendil

What are those 7 stars they brought from Numenor? They are on the banner I know but the poem focuses on the stars and not on the banner. How about the stone of Erech being a meteorite put into shape and brought over from Elendil together with 6 others whose location went into oblivion?
  2. S

Did Sauron guard the western road?

At the council Elrond is against sending the Ring to the shores as that is the way that Sauron expects and the roads will be strongly guarded. Do we get any indication that it was de facto so? Why didn't Sauron destroy the Grey Havens and the White Towers?
  3. S

NOME - Dwarvish voices

What does Dwarvish sound like for you? I want to elicit the sound of the Dwarvish tongue without influence from PJs interpretation. "they could not conceal their voices. Phonetically they were acute and could pronounce learned languages well, but their voices were very deep in tone with...
  4. S

Human Rights and Dignity

In Judeo-christian tradition man is made in the image of God. This is the basis for human dignity and was the anchor for human rights movements and the reason why their declarations were developed in the western world. I wonder where in Middle-Earth we have a parallel. Elves and Men are called...
  5. S

Ósanwe on Amon Hen

Why did noone bring this up during live class? Or did I miss it somehow. For me it is an obvious parallel. Even more, I believe that Ósanwe-kenta is a direct explanation of the passage at the end of FotR (and of the three wise at the end of RotK): "He knew that it had become aware of his gaze...
  6. S

Conscience

A footnote to "Nothing can penetrate the barrier of Unwill" in Ósanwe-kenta in NoME it says: "No mind can, however, be closed against Eru, either against His inspection or against His message. The latter it may not heed, but it cannot say it did not receive it." I find it fascinating that the...
  7. S

Original sin - Elves vs Men

In MR and especially NoME we find that one of the main differences of the two Eruhin is that Men do inherit original sin (a tendency to evil) while Elves dont. But it is clear that Elves do sin. So I wonder what makes the first elvish sin to be not as devastating as the first human sin. The...
  8. S

Christmas special: Varda and Mary

Last week I read a passage in Morgoth's Ring that reminded me so much of the John Prologue. There Eru says to Varda: Though shalt take into Eä a light that is holy, coming new from Me, unsullied by the thought and lust of Melkor, and with thee it shall enter into Eä, and be in Eä, but not of...
  9. S

Why did Tolkien suddenly bother so much about Finwe and Miriel?

As Corey said it is not understandable from a narrative perspective why Tolkien put so much effort and focus on this minor story line. It would have been easier to keep Miriel and Indis the same person and have the brothers conflict built up differently. Tolkien must have found it very important...
  10. S

Elrond's foresight on Pippin

I guess Elrond had some foresight that Pippin would be a high risk as a member of the party. Mainly because of his age. My first thought was that young people generally tend to be curious and careless. Both fit to Pippin's character. I can't help but think of him screwing up in Moria when he...
  11. S

Messengers of different races

Last time the question was discussed why it was so important for the company to "represent the other Free Peoples of the World". Corey and live participants couldn't come up with a satisfactory answer, in particular on the question who is the audience for this symbolism. Well, this reminded me...
  12. S

A new Hunt for Gollum

In the last episode Corey started discussing why all the scouting. Scouting the geopolitical situation of the journey ahead for two months is a bit strange for me. How much can that change since the other members of the council went through those lands, in a way that might be dangerous for a...
Back