Search results

1. Jonah

Elvish snow-running

The Supplement to the Summa Theologiae (the part written by St. Thomas Aquinas' collaborators after his death) says that the resurrected bodies of the blessed will be impassible (not subject to suffering) because the body will be perfectly subject to the soul. No other agent would be able to...
  2. Jonah

Session 6-12: The Frame Story

How about beginning Season 6 with Aragorn with the hobbits on Weathertop: "I will tell you the Tale of Tinúviel" and end with "And they have lost her whom they most loved"? The frame could include Aragorn/Arwen scenes sub-framed as Aragorn recollections.
  3. Jonah

Themes: Theological, Moral, and Spiritual

EPISODE 42 SPIRITUAL THEME: SPIRITUAL POWER: SPELLS TEXT: Chapter 8, p. 138, slide "The Fog Clears" EPISODE: C2"We have explicitly made the link between the fog and the spells of the barrow wights . . . And it's interesting that the barrow wights' influence, through the fog, seems to be, at...
  4. Jonah

EPISODE 41 SPIRITUAL THEME: SPIRITUAL BATTLE TEXT: no specific text (title slide: "Good and Bad Inspirations") EPISODE: A1"Many of the great battles in Tolkien's work happen in silence, and with nobody moving or doing very much." (9:39--9:48) A2"Mike and Tony are both suggesting really good...
  5. Jonah

EPISODE 40 (Part 2) THEOLOGICAL THEME: MIDDLE EARTH RELIGION: RITES: FUNERAL (Evilly Twisted) TEXT: Chapter 8, p. 137, slide "A Battle of Wills" and Chapter 8, p. 137. slide "A Deathly Sacrifice" ESPISODE: B11"JJ's asking, 'Do we hear even hear anything about hobbit funerary practices . . ...
  6. Jonah

Episode Transcripts

Your episode summaries have been very useful to me in identifying the themes I have tried to track episode by episode. And, as I understand it, the episode transcripts we have started drafting are meant to compliment and (eventually) link to your episode summaries. I share your concern about...
  7. Jonah

Episode Transcripts

I would be grateful, Tony, if you would continue to post your episode summaries, and I certainly haven't meant to suggest otherwise. I think them very well done and an essential part of this project going forward.
  8. Jonah

Episode Transcripts

Here is my Episode 17 draft and the updated sign up list.
  9. Jonah

Next steps - April 2022

Thanks, Smaug! I finished transcribing Episode 17. I included references to the Episode Summaries with timestamps and also added those to my Episode 16 transcription. I used letters and numbers (A1,A2,B1,B2, etc.) to identify bullet points in the Episode Summaries. I suggest we ask Tony to edit...
  10. Jonah

EPISODE 40 (Part 1) SPIRITUAL THEME: SPIRITUAL BATTLE SPIRITUAL THEME: SPIRITUAL POWER: SONG/WORDS/ENCHANTMENT/SPELLS TEXT: Chapter 8, p. 137, slide "A Battle of Wills" and Chapter 8, p. 137. slide "A Deathly Sacrifice" EPISODE: A3"What is the issue? The issue are the dreadful spells that the...
  11. Jonah

EPISODE 39 SPIRTUAL THEME: SPIRITUAL BATTLE TEXT: Chapter 8, p. 135, slide "A Forlorn Hope" and Chapter 8, p. 135, slide "Frodo Takes the Lead" and Chapter 8, pp. 136-137, slide "Pronouns Can Be Dangerous" EPISODE: C1"One thing that I think we can see fairly consistently throughout the entire...
  12. Jonah

EPISODE 37 THEOLOGICAL THEME: DIVINE REVELATION THEOLOGICAL THEME: HOPE (ESTEL) TEXT: Chapter 8, p. 132, slide "Notes & Queries 1", first considered in Episode 36 slide "Frodo's Vision" Episode A2"I love that reading of the veil, the idea that the gray veil, through which remember that the...
  13. Jonah

EPISODE 36 (part 2) ESPISODE: G2"This is a vision that he has. And it is a vision consequent upon his hearing a sweet singing running in his mind. Whose singing? . . . I don't know. It's some kind of singing that he hears running through his mind." (1:27:19-1:27:57) G3"'Could he be hearing the...
  14. Jonah

EPISODE 36 (part 1) SPIRITUAL THEME: SPIRITUAL POWER: SONG/WORDS THEOLOGICAL THEME: PROVIDENCE: PRAYER TEXT: Chapter 7, p. 131, slide "Guidance and Advice" EPISODE SUMMARY: F8"The most important aspect of this verse . . ." and F9"Note: it is important to remember" and F10"This invocation . ...
  15. Jonah

EPISODE 32 THEOLOGICAL THEME: PROVIDENCE TEXT: Chapter 7, pp. 123-124, slide "Notes and Queries 1" (First considered in Episode 31 slide "Chance") EPISODE SUMMARY: A1"There is a connection between Tom's "chance . . ." and A3"Gandalf seems to be implying . . ." EPISODE: A1"This is Mike who...
  16. Jonah

EPISODE 31 (part 2) THEOLOGICAL THEME: PROVIDENCE TEXT: Chapter 7, pp. 123-124, slide "Chance" and Chapter 7, p. 124, slide "Tom's Business" EPISODE SUMMARY: F1"Tom answers Frodo . . ." and F2"Tom also says he had not planned . . ." and F3"In a way, Tom is discounting chance . . ." and F4"This...
  17. Jonah

EPISODE 31 (part 1) SPIRITUAL THEME: SPIRITUAL POWER: SONG/WORDS/ENCHANTMENT TEXT: Chapter 7, p. 123, slide "A Merry Meeting" and Chapter 7, p. 123, slide "Blessings and Instructions" and (Chapter 7, p. 124, slide "Good Night, Tom. Good Night, Bom. Good Night, Bombadillo." EPISODE SUMMARY...
  18. Jonah

EPISODE 30 MORAL THEME: CHILDLIKE INNOCENCE TEXT: "The hobbits say down gladly . . . 'His is the Master of wood, water, and hill." (Chapter 7, p. 122, slide "Tom's Identity") EPISODE SUMMARY: C4"There seems to be a childlike quality about Tom . . ." and C5"There is possibly something in the...
  19. Jonah

EPISODE 29 SPIRITUAL THEME: SPIRITUAL POWER: BLESSINGS: 'ELF-FRIEND' TEXT: "The hobbits looked on her in wonder . . . He is tending to your tired beasts." (Chapter 7, pp. 121-122, slide "Frodo's enchantment") EPISODE SUMMARY: K1"Goldberry's recognition of Frodo . . ." and K2"This shows that...
  20. Jonah

EPISODE 28 THEOLOGICAL THEME: PROVIDENCE: ANSWER TO PRAYER TEXT: "'Put it out! Put it out! . . . He felt desperate: lost and witless" (Chapter 6, p. 116, slide "Notes and Queries 2", first considered in Episode 26, slide "I Speak for the Trees") EPISODE SUMMARY: B10"This is tied to the idea ...
Back