Search results

1. A

Bilbo's Farewell Song

I missed class again (forgot again.). So here are my random thoughts on the last stanza and our finale. Regress to stanza 5, like Dr. O did: He could have written something that ended with "see" in keeping with the previous rhyme scheme but he didn't - he used "know". Why? The "know" is a kind...
  2. A

Gandalf the telltale, missing scrolls

Oh , I did not know that there were many kings. OK that part of my thoughts wrong. Thanks.
  3. A

Messengers of different races

Messengers to who, is maybe what should be considered? Merry and Pippin got the Ents involved and Merry to Rohan and Pippin to Gondor as messages of unity. Aragorn got The Dead to help out. Gimli softened the heart of Galadriel towards dwarfdom. Legolas, as a last stand with men. Sam and...
  4. A

Gandalf not the traitor

Gandalf not the traitor: So, after Gandalf visits Gondor, Gollum is caught and taken to Mirkwood. We thought maybe this was because they had facilities to hold him and were more open to keeping prisoners at all. But also, maybe Aragorn and Gandalf sought the help of Mirkwood because it is not...
  5. A

Gandalf the telltale, missing scrolls

Summary: Gandalf is placed in the whistleblower’s dilemma. He wonders if he’s been influenced by the Dark Power himself. Everything he does is designed to hide his activities from the White Council. Other scrolls about the ring in Gondor may have been hidden or taken. Telltale: "But I spoke...
  6. A

Seven days to prepare

Might the "O Antiphons" have something to do with why Tolkien chose 7 as the number of days until the Company had to leave? You mentioned they left on Christmas Day so I just searched for anything related to the 7 days before Christmas Day and saw this article on Wikipedia. Do I recall...
  7. A

The burzum-ishi krimpatul problem

Ya, so something like: Sauron: ... agh burzum-ish krimpatul Orc: ah, excuse me, excuse me, sir, sorry sir but that's not what it says on your ring. Sauron: what? What are you talking about? Orc: ya, so, I can see the glowing script there, sir. It says "agh burzum-ishi krimpatul", yup, yes...
  8. A

The burzum-ishi krimpatul problem

Maybe Sauron made a typo when he was inscribing the ring. Maybe he put the "i" on the wrong side or accidentally put an "i" on both sides of the "shi" and didn't notice or didn't bother to correct it. So it is actually supposed to be "-ish" or "-shi" not "-ishi". Presumably JRRT went from...
Back