Search results

1. Lashley66

A Project Dropbox/Google Drive/OneDrive?

I mostly use Google Drive because of work and convenience. Because we are mostly working with documents, Google would work perfectly I think, but I don’t know much about the others.
  2. Lashley66

Episode Transcripts

I created a Google Doc, but if there is anything you would like to add, please feel free to edit as needed. I noticed another volunteer was experimenting with how we might transcribe the episodes. It is worth checking out. Volunteer Sheet for Transcribing and Editing
  3. Lashley66

Episode Transcripts

I am willing to help! We could create an episode list in a Doc for volunteers to sign up to transcribe chosen episodes. I would hate for someone to transcribe an episode that another person is already working on.
  4. Lashley66

Episode Transcripts

What is your suggestion for getting transcriptions of episodes 1-15?
  5. Lashley66

Style Guide Discussion

Absolutely! Thank you for sharing that perspective. I always love learning about the complexities of language outside of my own.
  6. Lashley66

Thought on Organization.

I feel like the process for developing our style guide can be organic and take time. A good place to start could be to begin editing the transcripts from the ExLOTR episodes. We could get started with that and discuss what we notice, like and dislike, non-negotiables, and whatever else comes up.
  7. Lashley66

Style Guide Discussion

Love the idea of “webinglish”! I have the same problem as a native English speaker. My problem is local dialects as I was raised in the southern United States where you have to be familiar with colloquialisms and euphemisms to keep up.
  8. Lashley66

Style Guide Discussion

The copy editor in me likes consistency in published works and academic writing (we have numerous style guides in English for literally everything), but I understand that would be a struggle for some or not a priority. The point of the style guide would be a reference guide for those editing the...
  9. Lashley66

Thought on Organization.

I’m glad you mentioned this! I just started a thread to discuss a house style guide for the editing and formatting of this project.
  10. Lashley66

Style Guide Discussion

Howdy! I have been brainstorming a style guide for our content. If you are unfamiliar with what a style guide is, it is a general set of standards for formatting documents (punctuation, spelling, documentation). What I am trying to put together is a “house guide” that those editing the content...
  11. Lashley66

Brainstorming Themes and Categories

Narration as a category. Sub categories including: tone, shifts in narration, anachronisms, point of view, narration in The Hobbit compared/contrasted with LOTR. Characterization: Essentially all characters and their physical descriptions, choices and actions, development, impact on the story...
  12. Lashley66

Welcome, Elven Lore-masters!

We could start another thread that is specifically potential topics. After we’ve exhausted our ideas, we can prioritize what needs to be done first.
  13. Lashley66

Welcome, Elven Lore-masters!

I would love to focus on the discussions related to Tolkien’s grammar and word choices. There have been many a discussion over specific grammatical and word choices that Tolkien used that spans several episodes of ExLOTR. So, I think it would be important to organize the different discussions by...
  14. Lashley66

Thought on Organization.

I like the idea of specific subtopics. Considering the scope of this project, the sky’s the limit when it comes to topics that could be covered.
  15. Lashley66

Call for Volunteers!

Howdy, everyone! I’m Ashley from a somewhat large town (large for OK) Oklahoma. I am currently a high school English teacher, a job I adore, but in the past I was an editor for a small literature publication. I am absolutely thrilled to participate in this project. I inherited my love for...
Back