Search results

1. A

Considerations for Class 238

I can't seem to pull much out of the next section, but that may be because I'm so tired! Danger Will Robinson!- Obviously the birds are a danger. Strider seems to notice that immediately and we can see that all of his strange behavior earlier on is completely warranted. The continuing silence...
  2. A

Racist Harfoots?

So I read an article from the Irish Times, link below, where the author had real concerns that the Rings of Power were being racist towards Celtic people, the Irish in particular because of the accents of the Harfoots. Is there anyone in Ireland who felt similar...
  3. A

Disagreements on WoT, Episode 11

So I had some thought listening to Other Minds and Hands Episode 11. I definitely now am thinking kinder about the change for giving Perrin a wife. I thought her entrance and quick departure left something to be desired, but the effect on Perrin's character does make sense, even though I dislike...
  4. A

Myth vs novel

Could you though have an effusive, bubbly outgoing sort of elf, with all their history, rather than a hobbit go through the same story? At what point does a story eclipse the character? I could easily see the Trials of Hercules told from the view point of a Chinese female, for instance. But the...
  5. A

Considerations for class 236

This is only coming out a few hours before class, but I thought(at least for myself and perhaps for others) it would be a good idea to look at what we will go over next in class. Looking at the next paragraph from where we ended I caught three points that may be worthy of discussion: 1)...
  6. A

Myth vs novel

Firstly I am not a Literature major, my inclinations lie more towards the philisophical and psychological, so if I'm off point here, please let me know! I was listening to the discussion on Ender's Game and Dr. Olsen made reference to the fact that "i am more interested in thinking about the...
  7. A

Call for Volunteers!

Matthew Hoffmann. No technical skills, but I do have a desire to help however I can, whether it's transcribing, or digging into the sessions to find specific points or even just proofread.
  8. A

Red Brick in the Shire

As we are traversing through the Yondershire, and may be seeing more examples of brick, I wanted to point out something that seems to have been missed. While it is true that red brick was prevalent during the Scouring, we do know that it was used before that. Farmer Maggots farmhouse we are told...
  9. A

Point of View

Well after over a year of not only listening to the podcast but also bringing my character in LOTRO up to speed with the class, I finally have caught up! Something I noticed way back in Chapter 2 was the point of view that the story as a whole takes, specifically how little we get of Gandalf's...
Back