Search results

1. T

Exploring Lord of the Rings on servers other than Landroval

There are a few different ways to get sound and interact with the class. I use the Signum University channel on Discord to listen and chat, that's the window that I'm looking at during the lecture portion. Twitch and Twitter are two other ways that I'm aware of.
  2. T

Thanks! That's useful to know. I view the Mithril coins as ultra-premium currency, so I've been pretty stingy about using them. I have been spending Mithril recently to get characters past the Misty Mountains, one coin to open up a new area feels like a fair deal.
  3. T

My participation on these forums is pretty spotty, I wish I had more time to devote to it. So it seems pretty well after the fact... but there's the potential for newcomers for the next few years... so I'll get in the mix. I became dissatisfied with only attending 25% of the field trips so I...
  4. T

Ambiguity and Tom Bombadil's Identity

That makes me think about what Alfred Hitchcock was able to do with filmmaking. Masterful storytellers understand that the information they reveal isn't as powerful as the details that an audience fills in with their minds. I've been finding in Tolkien that I like to work backward sometimes...
  5. T

Frodo won't let Gollum swear "on" the precious

Considering the fates of individuals that bind themselves to oaths in the world of Tolkien, I tried to consider the viewpoint that Frodo doesn’t want Sméagol tying himself so tightly to an object known for deception and betrayal. That “by” is somehow a softer version of “on.” However, I can’t...
  6. T

Beren and Lúthien

I made it to third paragraph of the story before my first question arose. The line, “they were not afraid as I should be.” Who is the “I” in that statement? I don’t know if I missed something in the introduction, or perhaps I’ll be able to answer my own question soon... but I wasn’t expecting...
  7. T

Kalevala Versions

Thanks all! I appreciate the feedback.
  8. T

Kalevala Versions

I was browsing the Kindle store, looking for their Kalevala offerings. There are at least 7; does anyone have an opinion on which version they like best?
  9. T

LotRO Cross Server Cooperation

I'm a bit of a late-comer to the course; I finally caught up live at the start of chapter 6. (I was initially hoping to get caught up by the Council of Elrond, I thought there was no chance of being around for Tom Bombadil talk, I'm glad I had no cause to worry.) My home server is on Landroval...
Back