Search results

1. D

Just revisited LotRO: what a wonderland

...after many, many months. Rode from Bree to Rivendell. (I had forgotten how to use milestones.) Goodness gracious, what beautiful scenery. Passing by a hundred ruins and byways, each that could lead to the sun or to the moon, riding east by night, the archer stars glowing, the sun coming...
  2. D

Alliteration -- automating searches by natural language processing

I didn't want to litter the Questions for Narnion forum with any details, but since Narnion has expressed an interest in alliteration, he and anyone who might be interested in automating searches by "natural language processing" might want to check out: Exploring The Lord of the Rings / Let's...
  3. D

[updated] Alliteration : Java program : certain sentences from Fellowship of the Ring

Given the current interest in alliteration, I wondered if it would be easy to write something which would try to identify alliterative hot spots in the text. I settled on a Java program which uses an electrostatic energy density model--that is, each letter has a repulsive power against other...
  4. D

Video games: rendering in 3d

This was mentioned in Ep.38. How do you take even a completed fully realized painting and turn it into 3d, such that a player can interact? (Go behind, look underneath, see spots in the game where something in the painting was hiding it.) Let alone take just a mental image of e.g. Minas...
  5. D

"brilliant piece of retcon"

In Ep.38, Prof CO, while discussing adjustments made in the Peter Jackson films, calls the "fixing" of the Gollum problem of Chap V "Riddles" in The Hobbit one of the most brilliant pieces of retcon ever. Interesting that, in Letter 128: 1 Aug 1950: Letters of JRR Tolkien, it is made clear that...
  6. D

Blast from the past: "try to say" and "try and say"

I was just browsing through "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien," and I saw a reference I'm not sure was mentioned back during the Great Try and/to Say Controversy. Letter 148: to Katherine Farrer: 7 August 1954: "I am afraid there are still a number of 'misprints' in Vol. I!... Jarrold's appear to...
  7. D

Episode 36 -- hope and despair ; transplanting

Wow, I just watched Ep 36 with CO, MP, and the handsome olive-jacket gentleman who works with the studio and, goodness gracious, we need to cross-reference every issue touched by CO in the entire Signum/Mythgard oeuvre with ExLotR. The idea of "moving Tolkien themes around" (e.g. putting one...
  8. D

After rewatching first three episodes...

I am less troubled by the mysterious appearance of Halbrand on the refugee boat near Galadriel's swimming marathon. This is I think (and many agree) one of the most controversial series contrivances. I concur. There are problems. In retrospect, I think the writers have invited us to the...
  9. D

I would dearly love

The Stranger to be Radagast. I know Prof. Olsen has suggested the possibility of a blue wizard. But there seem to be two, and they are best buddies and stick together. We know so little about Radagast, besides that he loves animals and nature. So his interest in fireflies and hobbit...
  10. D

"to be rid of the name of thief that was put on me"

My gut says this primarily refers to Gollum screaming "thief" at Bilbo as he escapes to the dwarves out of the mountain past Gollum. But no one was there to hear Gollum. If so, Bilbo internalized Gollum's criticism, which suggests that the legality/legitimacy of ownership/possession of the...
  11. D

Happy Mother’s Day to all moms

I was in the habit of checking out books from my middle school library, whose collection was as small, and the stacks about as short, as you would imagine. Mostly now-long-forgotten tripe. My mom said, “every other book you read should be something that really feeds your mind.” And she pointed...
  12. D

Hobbit Summer Camp?

Not sure where to ask this question. Not sure if I have missed any announcements, or what is going on, but I suspect that, with the cancellation of a lot of summer camps for a lot of kids this summer, that there may be more demand for Hobbit Camp this year than usual. Does anyone know when...
  13. D

Production Babies

Flammifer and Lawler presently have a really excellent and quite "illuminating" bicker going on in the thread Spells Have Always Been Cast. As Lawler said a few hours ago, Prof. Corey has mentioned that the medieval view of light and sight was that it was cast out from the eyes, and that...
  14. D

Things you were totally confused about

upon first reading. For me, at least, and your mileage may vary, there was a wide variety. I did not know that Strider and Aragorn were the same person. It's true. I was quite young and had poor reading comprehension and grooming. My graduate school had a course book store, the U-store...
  15. D

"March Madness"-style Arthur

Has anyone ever seen a listing of who-beats-who in Le Morte d'Arthur? Like ... 67. Sir Tristram smote Sir Ban 68. Sir Tristram smote Sir Bors 69. King Arthur smote Sir Palamides ... Etc. Or like a smiting table? Sir Lancelot 114, Sir Tristram 72, Sir Lamorak 49... Just curious. Not sure...
Back