Search results

1. K

Jokes and Laughter in Tolkien

In a recent class Corey pointed out that at the end of the discussion on what they should do after Ferny and the Southern's mischief, Merry made the comment, "There is one crumb of comfort,' said Merry, 'and more than a crumb, I hope: we can have breakfast while we wait - and sit down to it."...
  2. K

Responding to Enchantment and Faerie

Last week amysrevenge had a post about Bree being a return to normalcy after the last three chapters seeming more like an adventure into Faerie and Enchantment. This got me thinking more about these chapters and other instances of the company traveling into Faerie (such as when the hobbits go...
  3. K

Who Wrote this Thing?

Upon this reread I have been wondering often to myself "who wrote this part?" From what we know about the contents of this book we know as "The Lord of the Rings" or more properly as Frodo pens at the end of the Return of the King "The Downfall of the Lord of the Rings and the Return of the...
  4. K

Hands in the Barrow

Upon our readings of the Wight's song and the surrounding passages I noticed a somewhat focus on hands during the events in the Barrow. It first took my notice during our discussion of the Wight's song when he says "Cold be hand and heart and bone," but there is also the explicit mention of...
  5. K

Frodo's Dream/Vision - Literary Composition

I posed this question last week during the live session and I keep thinking about it. Frodo's last dream/vision in the house of Bombadil takes place at the beginning of chapter 8. Why does it take place here instead of at the end of chapter 7? It seems to me that on its face value, the...
  6. K

A Sleeping Bombadil before Ea?

In the discussion on Tom talking to the hobbits and taking them through the history of Ea and how he was first and witnessed much, I found it fascinating that Tom ends up falling asleep. I always found this striking and wondered why this happens and it wasn't until listening to the discussion...
Back