Ósanwe on Amon Hen

Why did noone bring this up during live class? Or did I miss it somehow. For me it is an obvious parallel. Even more, I believe that Ósanwe-kenta is a direct explanation of the passage at the end of FotR (and of the three wise at the end of RotK):

"He knew that it had become aware of his gaze. A fierce eager will was there. It leaped towards him; almost like a finger he felt it, searching for him. Very soon it would nail him down, know just exactly where he was. Amon Lhaw it touched. It glanced upon Tol Brandir – he threw himself from the seat, crouching, covering his head with his grey hood.
He heard himself crying out: Never, never! Or was it: Verily I come, I come to you? He could not tell. Then as a flash from some other point of power there came to his mind another thought: Take it off ! Take it off ! Fool, take it off ! Take off the Ring!"

At first Sauron is trying to enter Frodo's mind. But right at this moment the voice of Gandalf comes in and helps. A footnote tells us "Only great minds can converse with more than one other at the same time". Does that mean that Frodo has a great strenght of mind? Well, that makes him an even better Ring bearer. Btw, where is Gandalf exactly at this point in time? Zirakzigil, Lothlorien, Edoras?

The first voice was always more interesting to me because the reader does not hear it. I always imagined the call to to be something like "Bring me the Ring!". But such an order would be inflicted with force and Ósanwe-kenta taught us that this is not possible, unless Frodo would be willing to listen. I have following non exclusive theories that can explain this:

1. Maybe it is possible because Frodo's will to resist is weakened by wearing the Ring. And by wearing the Ring he already is connected to Sauron's mind somehow (see Nazgul). This might be the purpose of the Rings of Power as was mentioned in class.

2. Maybe Sauron did not command, but try to lure Frodo into it, saying something like "It would be so much easier for you to hand me over this thing. Bring it to me before more of your friends die. Your fellowship already broke. For the sake of the Shire - you can end this war". This would be more according to Melkor's way of talking:
"For he would come by stealth to a mind open and unwary, hoping to learn some part of its thought before it closed, and still more to implant in it his own thought, to deceive it and win it to his friendship".

3. Maybe Frodo was in a condition of openness and active will to entertain everything that would come into his mind to solve his dilemma of indecisiveness of how to go on, which is absolutely dangerous when confronted with the Enemy.

I also wonder about strengthening. We read that "in Incarnates transmission of thought requires strengthening to be effective". Gandalf's strengthening is clearly based on urgency:
"Urgency is imparted by great need of the “sender” (as in joy, grief, or fear); and if these things are in any degree shared by the “receiver” the thought is the clearer received."
But how is Sauron's voice strengthened? Of the three (Affinity, Urgency, Authority) authority seems to be my guess, but the definition is not quite fitting:
"Authority may also lend force to the thought of one who has a duty towards another, or of any ruler who has a right to issue commands or to seek the truth for the good of others."
Frodo does not have a duty towards Sauron and does not owe obedience of commands, and Sauron does certainly not seek the good for anyone than himself. Maybe the strengthening is the Seat of Seeing but I cannot find any trace of that in Ósanwe-kenta.

I wonder. I don't actually think Sauron enters Frodo's mind. He is always looking for the Ring (as Frodo also felt looking into Galadriel's mirror), but can only find it if someone is wearing it. Frodo responds to that feeling on Amon Hen. His "never" and "verily I come" are the struggle between him and the Ring. We have seen it before with the Nazgul. The Ring has been trying to return to Sauron for decades, since it fell of Gollum's hand. Frodo consciously is committed to his quest, and that is where the "never" comes from. So the "verily I come" is actually another Ring-induced thought. Frodo owes no obedience to Sauron, but the Ring does.

Gandalf, on the other hand, does enter Frodo's mind when he senses Sauron's search and Frodo's conflict. I always picture this happening when Gandalf is lying naked on the mountain-top, part of his returning to life being his recommitment to the destruction of the Ring. But I haven't checked any of timelines for how Tolkien imagines this. Gandalf's voice is strengthened by urgency, but also by affinity. Frodo has been longing for Gandalf's guidance since his fall into the abyss. These two love each other. Is Gandalf also receiving communication of Frodo's need for help at this moment?

Back