A Dubious Traveling Companion

amysrevenge

This got mentioned, I think while I was briefly distracted putting my daughter to bed, but it's interesting enough I think for further discussion.

When Frodo pops back to visibility at Strider's table, does the thought ever, for even a second, cross Aragorn's mind "Oh no, these people are idiots, am I going to be stuck taking on the burden of the Ring myself?"

I m not sure exactly how much of the story that unfolds later in Rivendell he already knows. He has to know the broad strokes of it: Isildur and Narsil, Ring lost in the River, somehow in Bilbo's hands, now with Frodo. He's met Gollum on Gandalf's behalf - does he know the Gollum story yet?

He knows what the Ring is, of course. How much of what it is capable of is he aware? Does he know how hard he needs to guard himself against desire for it? Does he know already that if he were to take it, even just to keep it safe, it would likely be his doom?

I think that by the time of the encounter in the Prancing Pony, Aragorn knows much of the story of the ring, and possibly even the specifics of the story Gandalf tells about Gollum. Aragorn helped capture Gollum - it's possible he was there as Gandalf questioned Gollum as well. And in his actions, I think we can see that he knows a lot about the power the ring holds on the bearer. He never asks Frodo for it, not even to see it. Perhaps he already knows that would not turn out well?

But at this point, would he question if it could possibly go worse (I mean, it could and probably would go worse so good for him)?

What if one of the hobbits made another huge screwup tomorrow? Maybe Frodo accidentally forgets the Ring on the nightstand in his hotel room, and has to go running back for it. Does Strider seriously consider ditching them and going on his own with the Ring? Is there any level of casual incompetence that would at least provoke an internal debate?

Back