A first time reader's actual experience

Actually, I think that's interesting speculation. I also think some of our more universal fantasies and myths come from our pre-verbal memories - the feelings we remember in our bodies of being carried and crying and magically having mother or other caretaker come and meet our needs, of not being able to control our movements, depending on others completely. The whole world was full of magic and was all there to be learned about.

Preverbial memory is a thing. Tolkien's elves are more like "real people" - he want them to real "persons" to be taken seriously - not just some "flower spirits" - but he doesn't seem to want to demythologize them completely either.

That's where we differ - the elves may be real people, but their world is full of magic. I think there's room for both in the same world.

That's where we differ - the elves may be real people, but their world is full of magic. I think there's room for both in the same world.
Yes, but how does this apply to their need to make a living?
I think their natural use of magic makes them able to avoid the necessity to develope extensive agriculture and industry, while other here do insist on their claim that magic cannot be involved in elves getting food - for reasons that I don't really grasp yet?

I agree. Also time - in our world, extensive agriculture and industry require the concentrated effort of groups of people for certain periods of time. I think that elves avoid this in two ways - one is by producing just enough for their own needs, including food put aside for winters and droughts and such. The other relates more to manufacture of items for their needs including their need for beautiful things. They do not work in shifts in factories but are able to spread out their work as they wish. They might work for a year or more on a single project with only brief pauses, or spread the work out over a century or two - no deadlines. They work with joy, another of their products.

And yes, I think magic is part of what they do, including food production. I don't think the earth from Galadriel's garden rejuvenates the Shire simply because of special chemical/biological components that enhance fertility any more than the light in her glass shines as it does simply because of the laws of physics. Magic is intrinsic to their work and their way of life.

OK Finrod's name is mentioned (as an obscure head of an unknown 'house'), but Finrod as anything but a word, does not exist in TLOTR.

Not quite. We are forgetting Appendix F here:

"Noblest of all was Lady Galadriel of the royal house of Finarfin and sister of Finrod Felagund, King of Nargothrond."​

So, yes, an attentive reader of The Lord of the Rings will know that Finrod is Galadriel's brother. And we also are told that the Ring of Barahir came from Finrod in Appendix A, as a footnote to the story about Arvedui in Forochel.

"It is said that it was none other than the ring which Felagund of Nargothrond gave to Barahir, and Beren recovered at great peril."​
And this is put together in Appendix B:
"In Lindon south of the Lune dwelt for a time Celeborn, kinsman of Thingol; his wife was Galadriel, greatest of Elven women. She was sister of Finrod Felagund, Friend-of-Men, once king of Nargothrond, who gave his life to save Beren son of Barahir."​

Last edited:
Not quite. We are forgetting Appendix F here:

"Noblest of all was Lady Galadriel of the royal house of Finarfin and sister of Finrod Felagund, King of Nargothrond."​

So, yes, an attentive reader of The Lord of the Rings will know that Finrod is Galadriel's brother.
Yes, but not during the narrative of the first time reading

The person pondering Galadriel's motives in 'The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen' has clearly reached the Appendices ;) I am not arguing about any of this, merely pointing out that Finrod's name, as well as some key details of his life, are indeed mentioned within The Lord of the Rings.

Back