A narrow shave

kurtzimus

I’m doing the exploring lotr blitzkrieg, and am currently listening to volume 99. The “a narrow shave” metaphor interested me, for unknown reasons. Could it be a shave as in when one whittles wood, one produces shavings? A narrow shave is a very thin delicate piece, and is close to the final shape. It would also symbolize the small piece of morgul blade that was “shaved” off into Frodo. Seems to fit.

I’m doing the exploring lotr blitzkrieg, and am currently listening to volume 99. The “a narrow shave” metaphor interested me, for unknown reasons. Could it be a shave as in when one whittles wood, one produces shavings? A narrow shave is a very thin delicate piece, and is close to the final shape. It would also symbolize the small piece of morgul blade that was “shaved” off into Frodo. Seems to fit.

I'm on the field trip for 98, so will get get there soon.

"A close shave" means a very close miss (or narrow escape), which seems to fit here.
As narrow has a germanic origin (through Old English), while close has a latinate origin (entering with Middle English), it could be Tolkien showing a preference for older words with the same meaning.

Back