A Wizard of Earthsea

Elentir

I am so pleased to hear that the next Mythgard book is "A Wizard of Earthsea". For those of you who haven't read it, you're in for a treat.

I've read it so many times that my paperback has no cover at all. This may be the last reading of this copy: it's falling apart as I go.

Having read nearly every story that LeGuin ever wrote about Earthsea, I am very interested in how the concepts changed over the 40+ years between AWoE and the latest writings. The role of women; the very slow reveals about Dragons and about the Land of the Dead; the retcon about wizards and sexual behavior (feels like a retcon, anyway) . . . and lots more. Corey, of course, isn't going to do much of that: he likes to stick to the actual text in front of him, which is absolutely appropriate.

For those who haven't read A Wizard of Earthsea, my advice is: don't stop there! If you get bogged down by Tehanu (originally subtitled "the last book of Earthsea" but no longer, since it wasn't), don't despair: that's the only one of them that's depressing and ought to have trigger warnings.

In case you all didn't know, this Thing. of. Beauty. exists, and it also got a Hugo in the one-off "Best Art Book" category this year! If anyone is looking to buy A Wizard of Earthsea and all its sequels, I highly recommend this stunningly gorgeous hardback.

Regarding the pronounciation of Ogion which was discussed/the topic of a poll in Session 2: Le Guin actually adressed this several times and had a strong opinion about it:
So Ged is Ged not Jed, Ogion rhymes with “bogey on.” (...) And in the American film “based on” A Wizard of Earthsea, Ogion became oh-JYE-on.
(from her webpage)
and
I withdrew my offered pronunciation guide (so Ogion, which rhymes with bogy-on, is "Oh-jee-on" in the film).
(from the Locus)

So the intuition was correct and the Robert Inglis audiobook is incorrect here.

I've been trying to formulate my observation that the epigraph works just fine if you read it in waltz-time, i.e. with a steady three-fold beat, but I haven't been able to come up with a properly coherent post, so here you go…

Back