Actors who can sing

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
Some roles will require some singing talent. So, when posting suggestions here, please include a video clip of the actor in question singing.

MANY of Tolkien's characters sing - all of the hobbits sing, for instance. Some obvious ones, like Galadriel or Maglor or Tom Bombadil or Finrod, but also some less-obvious ones, like Aragorn or Beren.

How much singing will be included in our TV production remains to be determined. We are (obviously) including Tom Bombadil, so *surely* he will sing and dance and be himself...right? But will Legolas sing the song of Nimrodel in Lothlorien? Will Bilbo chant his 'Earendil was a mariner...' verse in Rivendell? Will Fingon sing a song and play a harp to find Maedhros imprisoned on Thangorodrim (as Sam found Frodo in the Tower of Cirith Ungol)? Who knows.

But let's collect a pool of talented singers, and that way we'll have some options if the need arises.

I realize that whether or not someone is a good singer is a somewhat subjective evaluation. Even Harrison Ford has sung on camera! (example from 'Witness') But if no recording exists of them singing....maybe we should pause before casting this person as Daeron, the most famous Sindar musician. And if they were previously cast in a singing role and universally hated for it....hmmm. No one is going to claim that Sam Gamgee has to sing well - he just has to sing. But you would not cast someone who can't even carry a tune even in a role like that.

Last edited:
Eric Millegan

He played Zack Addy on the TV show Bones, and....that's about it :p He has a musical theater background, though.

Hans Matheson
41, 5' 8-1/2"
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0558548/?ref_=nv_sr_2

(I am having trouble finding a video clip of him singing, but apparently he does.)
Here he is playing the guitar at least:

Not sure what use we could make of this Scottish actor. He's played villains and not-so-villainous types, from Alec in Tess of the d'Urbervilles to a village vicar in The Christmas Candle. Most recently, he's in Jericho, and he has also played Nero and Caravaggio. So, slightly unhinged obsessive types work well for him....

Perhaps Daeron?

Last edited:
And now, the 'everyone who has been in Les Mis' list!

Eddie Redmayne
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1519666/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Height: 6'

He's been nominated, but not cast yet. While he is at least somewhat lovable and heroic in his Harry Potter role, he's also played a screaming villain in Jupiter Ascending. And...Stephen Hawking. So I don't think we have to worry about typecasting him.

Here, he does his 'sing through sobs' impression as Marius singing 'Empty Chairs at Empty Tables'

And with less crying in 'Red and Black'

I'm not terribly impressed, but at least he *can* sing.

This one is better - a solo in choir from 17 years ago:

I am not sure how we feel about people who are *primarily* musicians, but have taken acting roles in the past. Like that time Sting showed up in Dune, or David Bowie in Labyrinth, or Justin Timberlake in In Time. It's one thing when it's a film about singing (like Eminem's autobiographical 8 Mile or 1980's Blues Brothers featuring everyone from Donald Duck Dunn to Aretha Franklin to Ray Charles to Cab Calloway to John Lee Hooker). There are folks like Will Smith who have dual careers. But, in general....it's a tough cross-over to do well.

This was all a lead up to mention....

Brad Paisley has done voice acting in Cars :p

Last edited:
Jensen Ackles, who plays Dean Winchester in Supernatural, can sing, it turns out.
He is from Texas, but does not have a Texan drawl in his regular speaking voice or in his delivery as an actor. However, almost all of the songs I've seen video of him singing are southern rock, so it's hard to tell if he's too American when he sings. He's not exactly a professional singer or anything, but decent enough to perform, anyway.

He is 39 years old and 6'1", and slim enough to be an elf, though built enough for fight scenes. Fairly multi-purpose.

If y'all haven't figured it out by now, I suddenly want to cast him in our show, so I will find a role for him somewhere :)

Last edited:
My wife, who is also obsessed with Ackles for reasons I find unfathomable (I think it is how much lipstick he wears), has said that she thinks him a trifle too rugged to be an elf.

Hahaha! The show is incredibly meta, so they even give Castiel a line about Dean and lipstick:

And Dean is horrified by how much makeup they put on Jensen:

And for some unfathomable reason, Jared Padelecki thought it was a good idea to tell this story in public; or, that time Jared and Jensen in full stage makeup tried to get an airport hotel room for a couple of hours.

I think we're allowed some rugged elves in the Silmarillion - Beleg, Celegorm and Fingon, for starters. Obviously, Dean Winchester is very much a blue collar American character, but if we're not bothered by the American part, I don't see any reason Jensen Ackles couldn't be an elf. But yes, he'd also be an option for human characters. I do think it's somewhat amusing that a guy who is over 6' tall has been 'the short one' on a TV show for the past 12 years.

Edit: And oh my goodness, Matt Cohen is ridiculous! He plays young John Winchester in the 1970s, so he's in like 3 episodes. And apparently, he's a *little* obsessive about how pretty Jensen's mouth is.

Last edited:
That's because Padelecki is enormous.

I think that's why they make so many jokes about Sam's size early on, to keep people from getting the impression that Dean is small.

I do like that Crowley just calls him 'Moose,' because it's a rather spot-on nickname.

I think Ackles is a good actor, and he's fun to watch.

Melissa Benoist
29 5ft, 8'
I know her from Supergirl, that where I heard her sing but IMDB says she was in Glee as well (never seen it but I understand there is a lot of singing in it:))
MV5BMjE2MzA2NTYxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTcyODM5Ng@@__V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
Not sure how you chaps are putting in the youtube vid so am just adding the URL (sorry)

Attachments

• MV5BMjE2MzA2NTYxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTcyODM5Ng@@__V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
    MV5BMjE2MzA2NTYxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTcyODM5Ng@@__V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1
I know nothing about actors but I want to suggest/request that Maglor and Daeron should be cast with people who are primarily musicians rather than actors, unless we can find people who do both equally well. Or rather, that musicians be nominated. They will at least need to be very good singers, and be able to play at least harp and flute, respectively. I want them to have a music contest at the Mereth Aderthad, because singing is apparently the main activity at elf parties and who would waste the opportunity when two of the three best Elven musicians are in the same place? It would be so epic.

I was disappointed that Ulmo's casting didn't take the sound of his voice more into consideration... for these two characters I think it is important. For Luthien also, if we haven't cast her yet, but maybe less important.

Last edited:
I was just thinking of Darren Criss the other day. He's a singer/songwriter/actor and young enough to be an elf. He plays the guitar.

He was Harry Potter in the Very Potter Musical and wrote all the songs for the sequel. He then appeared on Glee. And now he's in the Assassination of Gianni Versace.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2023050/

Here's one of his own songs:

On Glee:

And the opening song from A Very Potter Musical:

Space Oddity:

"Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid:

Not sure I see him as Daeron, but maybe?

Last edited:
His face seems good for Daeron. His voice is more Maglor to me, likewise his IMDB acting clips.

Last edited:
Back