Actors who can sing

Retroactively...

Gael García Bernal (Olorin) starred in the Pixar musical Coco.

And something a bit raunchier...

Is Idril supposed to be singing at any point? I found this clip of Nell Tiger Free singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas".

Retroactively...

What keeps you from nominating him to play Ecthelion??
I can see no reason not to nominate him.

So, it turns out that the actor who won for Ecthelion can also sing. I think he's mostly only done karaoke before, but he recently played Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee, so had to practice a bit of singing for that role.

Most of the clips I've seen before have been jokes, screaming into a mike, etc.

But yeah, looks like Sebastian Stan can sing a bit.

I’m not sure what to say, but I feel that this thread has to have more impact on our casting choices. And I also think that we’ve missed a few opportunities up until now. For example, even though we had discussed this, we nominated and elected an actor for the role of Finrod who did not have any apparent singing skill. To be honest, I think we should have had this discussion while casting some of the Maiar, like Yavanna and definitely Sauron. One could argue that the singing could be added in post production but I feel such a choice is giving up and accepting the trammels of reality too much.

She can definitely sing. Perhaps one could have wished for a voice that was somewhat clearer, more like a Nightingale.

I’m not sure what to say, but I feel that this thread has to have more impact on our casting choices. And I also think that we’ve missed a few opportunities up until now. For example, even though we had discussed this, we nominated and elected an actor for the role of Finrod who did not have any apparent singing skill. To be honest, I think we should have had this discussion while casting some of the Maiar, like Yavanna and definitely Sauron. One could argue that the singing could be added in post production but I feel such a choice is giving up and accepting the trammels of reality too much.
I've been looking for clips of Simon Woods (Sauron) singing; all I come up with is stuff for Simon Cowell.

One for Dan Stevens (Finarfin) and Michelle Dockery from Downton Abbey. Dockery apparently does jazz singing on the side.

Alexander Ludwig. I've had him in mind for someone like Tuor or Huor, recently released a country album.

Rege-Jean Page, of Bridgerton fame, sang in the Sandman Audio dramas, and has received alot of praise for doing so.

Back