Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
In this season, we will cast actors for characters who wI'll be both young and extremely old without changing much physically. They'll just look more wise. Now that might be a small problem. A different and perhaps bigger problem is that the children of certain characters will be as physically mature as their parents. How do we help viewers understand the age differences? Could casting be one answer? If elves are represented by actors and actresses between ages 20 and 50, it would be simplest to cast the older actors as first generation elves and go for slightly younger for the second generation and so on. But on the other hand, some of the younger elves are going to live in the frame, and wouldn't they look more mature than the oldest elves in the Firts Age?
Suggestions?

I'm always a fan of make up, although Marvel's been doing some really astonishingly great "de-aging" with computers lately, I wonder if we could flip it around? Or maybe just case a bunch of older actors and then de-age them where necessary?

For elves in particular, though, I kind of feel like them looking the same is sort of the whole point, so I wouldn't worry too much. If anything I think we could imply age on a mostly age-less person with some subtle make-up touches?

I'm saying we can wave a magic imagination wand and say "science!" and pretend we have an acceptable solution.

Still, there is the thing about the age differences between the characters. Someone who is perfect for playing Fëanor could look tounger than someone who is perfect for playing Maedhros, for example.

Edit: well ok I get it, we'll wave the wand...

Last edited:
Well, I think that we should search for the "wise and experienced" look rather than focusing on the age, when it comes to older elves.

Lee Pace is three years younger than Orlando Bloom, and he played Orlando's father in The Hobbit. (I still think Legolas should have only been a cameo in the second film, no more.)

As for younger elves, maybe search for the "forever young" looking actors? We saw that when casting Estel, that some actor you would consider children when on the screen, turn out to be even in their late teens.

Age is a very subjective thing when it comes to looks, I believe. I'm 25 and someone said I looked 19 last week, and then two days ago someone said I'm 31, so...

We could possibly convey generation gaps through clothing styles. It happens for us, why wouldn't it happen for elves?
I agree with this in theory, but I'm not experienced enough a fashion designer to really know how to discuss this in detail using any kind of concrete terms.

Well, I think that we should search for the "wise and experienced" look rather than focusing on the age, when it comes to older elves.

Lee Pace is three years younger than Orlando Bloom, and he played Orlando's father in The Hobbit. (I still think Legolas should have only been a cameo in the second film, no more.)

As for younger elves, maybe search for the "forever young" looking actors? We saw that when casting Estel, that some actor you would consider children when on the screen, turn out to be even in their late teens.

Age is a very subjective thing when it comes to looks, I believe. I'm 25 and someone said I looked 19 last week, and then two days ago someone said I'm 31, so...

I think Peter Jackson had a little too much fun making Legolas into a superhero. In general his portrayal in JP's films was borderline scholcky/pulp goofing around, and I kinda got sick of it. I really didn't care for the snowboarding-shield moment in Two Towers.

The general question of what to do with Legolas in a Hobbit adaptation is kind of pertinent, though. I personally think if you're going to give Legolas a cameo, you might as well give him something substantial to do. Either give him something to do or leave him out all together. I think a simple cameo begs the question of "why doesn't he stick around?" too hard.

Back