Aiwendil

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
It seems the Maia who becomes Radagast will make an appearance this season, right? So, what do we want to see in an actor portraying him? He's supposedly one of Yavanna's people. We don't know much about him, besides the fact that Saruman/Curumo thinks he is a small player and more or less despises him.
I'd like to see mild kindness, mostly.
Perhaps we could use a comedian, someone who Curumo would find silly? Or is Curumo's low regard a result of them having so disparate interests?

As long as he doesn't have bird poo in his hair like in the Hobbit movies, I think a bit silly is ok. Thus a light-hearted character played by a comedian is fine for me. Maybe Jim Carrey would be over the top. We certainly have to highlight the disparate interests of both wizzard by story telling.

How about Paul Giamatti? Might need to use whatever Marvel used on Robert Downey Jr. to slim him down in Civil War, at least in the Valinor sequences, but...

paul-giamatti_photoboxart_160w.jpg

Paul_Giamatti_2010_TIFF.jpg

How about Paul Giamatti? Might need to use whatever Marvel used on Robert Downey Jr. to slim him down in Civil War, at least in the Valinor sequences, but...

I like the look... why would we have to slim him down? If the Maiar chose their own forms, why wouldn't some of them choose to appear larger? They're not going to have modern beauty standards. Radagast seems an obvious candidate for someone who wouldn't give two drawls about what he looks like. I always imagined Tom Bombadil as large and jolly, and I like the idea of a visual comparison between the two.

We could go the route where he's the funny type or we could go the route where he's falling in love with the nature, the environment. Curumo is one of Aulë's people and he likes to craft new devices. I think Radagast could be more the one that likes to live with the nature and not harm it. So I picture a Radagast that is somewhat quiet, maybe a bit stern, awkward, but kind. One that might like to walk alone with the beasts in peace, but is resourceful and eager to do things that he likes with others as well.

I think that Vincent D'Onofrio could be a good fit. He's a really good actor and has good range. He's probably most known for playing Wilson Fisk in Daredevil, but he has had a good variety of roles. I think that Vincent could blend well into Radagast and give him a rugged look.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000352/?ref_=tt_cl_t4
MV5BMTk0NTE2MDkzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODUzMjcz._V1_UY317_CR6,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Since I brought up the idea of using a comedian, I should perhaps make clear that I do not want us to make a comic relief character of Aiwendil. For example, if we use Jim Carrey (just for the sake of the argument) he should not act like he did in the Ace Ventura movies but more like in Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.

We could go the route where he's the funny type or we could go the route where he's falling in love with the nature, the environment. Curumo is one of Aulë's people and he likes to craft new devices. I think Radagast could be more the one that likes to live with the nature and not harm it. So I picture a Radagast that is somewhat quiet, maybe a bit stern, awkward, but kind. One that might like to walk alone with the beasts in peace, but is resourceful and eager to do things that he likes with others as well.

I think that Vincent D'Onofrio could be a good fit. He's a really good actor and has good range. He's probably most known for playing Wilson Fisk in Daredevil, but he has had a good variety of roles. I think that Vincent could blend well into Radagast and give him a rugged look.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000352/?ref_=tt_cl_t4
MV5BMTk0NTE2MDkzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODUzMjcz._V1_UY317_CR6,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

I like the idea of D'Onofrio as Aiwendil actually. Or Mark Ruffalo. upload_2016-9-23_8-11-30.jpeg

Back