Alatar and Pallando

Haerangil

Did we ever discuss casting any of the Blue Wizards?

I guess not as they so far never had a major part to play but... in theory we should have seen them in the first season somewhere among the Valar's posses, shouldn't we?

Since we've usually avoided casting people until they become kind of important (even if they do appear in earlier seasons) I think we don't need to until they're actually doing something. Which might be quite a long while, unless we can squeeze them into the frame at some point.

Oh I know we’re not casting as we’ve no official page but I’m throwing out suggestions. I’d like to see them pop up in season 6 when Sauron goes east. I think we can use the version that says they were sent ahead of the other Istari and have them already established there. Perhaps one has already gone wrong and started a cult. Perhaps something relevant in a Sauron Goes East story. Anyway, for a letter day. These would still be my picks though

Oh I know we’re not casting as we’ve no official page but I’m throwing out suggestions. I’d like to see them pop up in season 6 when Sauron goes east. I think we can use the version that says they were sent ahead of the other Istari and have them already established there. Perhaps one has already gone wrong and started a cult. Perhaps something relevant in a Sauron Goes East story. Anyway, for a letter day. These would still be my picks though
They don't appear in Middle Earth until the Third Age.

My point was, only three things matter about them: blue, two and lost.

Nothing else about them is essential. You can have them appear whenever and however as long as those three things are in tact.

That’s what adaptations are about. You have to keep the core of the characters. These two have VERY LITTLE core characteristics.

Plus Tolkien, flip-flopped on their storylines. And we’ve used previous drafts and non-canon takes for aspects of some characters.

I think these guys are very open to using how we see fit.

I mean... at least their arrival is pretty clearly defined even to Tolkien - they arrived with the rest of the Istari c. 1000 TA. But I do like the casting ideas!
Or earlier in the second Age with Glorfindel.. thats the other possibility. But i was really thinking about the young Al and Pal as members of the Valinor crowd this moment...

Last edited:
The mission of the Istari as established by the Valar also matters, and First Age is too early for that.

Okay, for younger versions of the actors above (I'm suggesting these as doubles as it were) :

Tosin Cole
Height: 5'9"
Doctor Who, 61st Street, various British soaps
nRqpj6S6CABH63uRkGaeOUrMunm.jpg Tosin-cole-2829653.jpg Untitledggg#7.png

Simu Liu
Height: 5' 10"
Shang Chi, Kim's Convenience, Blood and Water
Cover-Image_edit.jpg SC_LOTTR_327832832392023.jpg Untitled.png

Wonderful discussion! Personally I think you’re being way too hasty, there is at least an Age until the Blue Wizards become relevant. And we don’t really have any particular focus on Valinor at this stage, so I’m afraid they’re far from relevant in that regard as well. Besides, we haven’t really treated the Valinor versions of the Istari as just younger versions of the older men they become when they show up in Middle-earth, but actually quite separate beings. You can check this out in ‘Cast so far’.
We do have a discussion on the Istari already, in the general section, here’s a link:https://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?threads/the-istari.644/

I was thinking that we have a bit of a gap drama-wise with Sauron in the East possibly next season and it just struck me that it made a good opportunity to potentially introduce the two and talk about some of the wider narrative themes with them there. It's only a suggestion, but we aren't beholden to any true lore as it isn't ironed out and I think still flexible really due to their lack or direct play with the story.

Something to consider.

Also, didn't realise we had an Istari specific casting page. That's great.

As for the young vs old issue. I wasn't per se thinking they ought to be aged up versions but thought it was a nice touch. Plus, I really wanted to see some non-white actors amongst the traditionally 'old white men' wizards. And suggestion the two great actors as I did got my mind running as to how we could give them more screen time and make more of their acting chops. I do think Domnhall Gleeson to Gary Oldman seems a good fit though. Have we cast embodied Saruman at all?

As for the young vs old issue. I wasn't per se thinking they ought to be aged up versions but thought it was a nice touch. Plus, I really wanted to see some non-white actors amongst the traditionally 'old white men' wizards. And suggestion the two great actors as I did got my mind running as to how we could give them more screen time and make more of their acting chops. I do think Domnhall Gleeson to Gary Oldman seems a good fit though. Have we cast embodied Saruman at all?
No we haven't since we haven't reached a point where casting him is an option.

Back