Almaren after the destruction of the Lamps

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
I stumbled across this picture and I just thought: "This could be what Almaren looks like after the Lamps have gone down..." (It's an island called Tindhlmur) It looks like something broken.

tindhlmur-a-small-island-in-the-faroe-islands--33328.jpg

Almaren before it is destroyed will be important, too!

It should be an island in a lake, and the island has a large reflecting pool in it....and also waterfalls.

Yes but isn't that supposed to be unmarred and so symmetric that it's almost kind of weird?

Good question! It needs to be unmarred, unblemished, unstained. But if it were perfectly symmetrical (like, say, a formal French garden) it would look a little weird. So, maybe it can have some of that, and some of the Valar working together and allowing their own spheres to interact?

versailles_garden+(1).jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I didn't mean like a French garden but symmetrical and perfect in a kind of otherworldly sense, the Unmarred, the ideal.

I don't know that it needs to feature too much symmetry; one of the things that we did in the first episode was encourage the audience to see the Valar as being a little more "human" by having them prefer the more natural-looking landscape created by Osse's constant pounding of the originally blocky coastal cliffs over their inital, other-worldly look. I think there should be some very obvious symmetry, but I'd like to see some of the features looking a little more natural; they're not just building up layers on top of each other, they're making an honest to goodness stab at this harmony thing. We could look to fractals as a visual basis to help us with that, gesturing at patterns and order while still being pretty organic.

Back