Amazon series: reactions to news and rumours. (Spoiler alert!)

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
I think we need a thread just for talking about things as they develop until the series start. By necessity, it will be full of potential spoilers, so if you want to watch the series with eyes and mind not contaminated by intel on what’s to come, avoid this thread.

I get my rumours from the Fellowship of Fans Twitter account. They seem to be serious and reliable. Recently, they have posted stuff about Galadriel in Numenor and on Sauron and a corrupted elf who’s supposedly followed by orcs. When I get time, I’ll find links (but I suspect others have read this). I’ll return here with my own thoughts on this later.

Really intrigued by the fact we are getting some small village action, particularly seeing the influence of Sauron within a tighter community. Balanced with the obviously grand scale we’ve seen from the teaser image

I am thinking the Sauron scenes could be part of a flashback. The corrupt, tortured, evil elf is a father figure for the orcs. He could just be their leader, but he could also be their actual father. This sounds like a story showing the origin of Orcs. If it’s not a flashback, they could be showing a remnant of Morgoth’s army and how Sauron takes control of the orcs and builds an army in the Second Age. At first, I thought Sauron taking a menacing, evil form at this point was confusing, but if his goal in this setting is to put fear into the glamhoth, it makes perfect sense of course.

The news related to Galadriel had me a bit concerned. Primarily because the idea that she would risk travelling to Numenor at a time when people are anti-elf is problematic. I can think of reasons for the choice, as using a well known character and put her in a central, dramatic situation makes drama, but it feels like the easy way, and a bit like they’re not telling a story for adults to be honest. At first, I was taken aback by the news that Elendil is going to arrest her, but I do hope that they’re in some kind of conspiracy to avoid him looking like a traitor to the crown. He has to be a faithful elf-friend from the start. I don’t know, it’s difficult to put my finger on it, but this whole piece of news smells bad in my opinion, I wouldn’t say it could be as bad as Faramir in The Two Towers movie, but to me it signals a kind of recklessness and a perspective on Tolkien that clashes with how I perceive the spirit of his work. I’m not certain it will be that way, I still have hope, but I’m a little worried.

I will never understand people's dislike of Faramir in the Two Towers films lol But never mind.

I totally see the idea behind getting to show Valinor and doing it through the eyes of a character we know. And also having Galadriel be more than an ethereal presence (which she will be to most of the viewing audience). Give her some real purpose and agency and a character in her own right. But I've no idea what the story will be there. I guess I have zero worries about the show to be honest. I'm just intrigued to see what choices they will make. It really does sound like we will be getting a sprawling drama that covers all kinds of civilizations and that I think is really crucial, so glad we are already hearing hints of that.

The orc forefather thing is very intriguing. Hadn't thought of it in those terms. That would honestly be really cool to see the birth or the orcs in that manner.

The Valinor thing is a whole different game, since Galadriel defenitely was there, born there and everything. If we get that, I will be as excited as anyone. Travelling to Numenor though was as far as I know from reading JRR a rare thing among the elves. The Numenoreans went to Middle-earth by ship a number of times, but not what you would call often, and little is written about elves going to Numenor, except that Teleri of the West came a number of times and a few ships seem to have come from Middle-earth. That is supposed to have stopped at one point, or at least the elves stopped coming openly after the King's Men gained support. So emissaries could have come in secret, and I guess Galadriel could possibly have gone there, but it would be a risk. I appreciate that you have a positive view on this, though, and I hope I will be proven wrong and everything will be amazing.

Oh I guess I’d assumed the journey, from the context of the rumour, is very much an exception. A quest with purpose. If it’s already been put a stop to I suppose the arrest has done merit. But of course, we don’t know the context, history or world of the show and I’m sure they’ll be departures. But yeah, I assume the trip is important otherwise why tell the story. I’m very prepared to try and enjoy this so am defending it for myself lol

Oh I guess I’d assumed the journey, from the context of the rumour, is very much an exception. A quest with purpose. If it’s already been put a stop to I suppose the arrest has done merit. But of course, we don’t know the context, history or world of the show and I’m sure they’ll be departures. But yeah, I assume the trip is important otherwise why tell the story. I’m very prepared to try and enjoy this so am defending it for myself lol
My impression was always that elves of Tol Eressëa visited Numenor regularly up until the ‘Kings men’ started gaining the upper hand politically. I don‘t recall elves of Lindon visiting Numenor in the texts - but hey, why not? With Cirdan around, there would certainly be shipbuilding capacity!

I’m mostly positive about the rumours that I’ve seen but the Galadriel thing still makes me a little concerned, the idea that one of the leaders of the elves would leave the strategically important location in Middle-earth to deliver a message make a plea at the hostile court of a far-off island realm and risk a dangerous and probably time consuming voyage at sea while something could (and probably would) be happening in Middle-earth that she most certainly would want to focus on, is far fetched, I think (but I realise that this is probably not a view shared by everyone).

The most recent news is about the forging of some rings, which will be shown at some point (probably in e1-2). Celebrimbor is involved, not surprisingly.The main part of the series will be set in the late Second Age, so this is either in an intro or a flashback.

I’m mostly positive about the rumours that I’ve seen but the Galadriel thing still makes me a little concerned, the idea that one of the leaders of the elves would leave the strategically important location in Middle-earth to deliver a message make a plea at the hostile court of a far-off island realm and risk a dangerous and probably time consuming voyage at sea while something could (and probably would) be happening in Middle-earth that she most certainly would want to focus on, is far fetched, I think (but I realise that this is probably not a view shared by everyone).

The most recent news is about the forging of some rings, which will be shown at some point (probably in e1-2). Celebrimbor is involved, not surprisingly.The main part of the series will be set in the late Second Age, so this is either in an intro or a flashback.
I agree that Galadriel visiting Numenor is a bit disquieting. Elves of Lindon (so Elrond potentially), I can see, but not Galadriel who was - as far as I know - never resident in Lindon. Despite her Teleri heritage, she never came across as a sea-elf.

Here is a leaked picture of part of the list of characters including their pseudonyms and a very short role description. It doesn't reveal anything we do not already know about casting, but it shows what characters we can expect to see. It fits with other information that we have: breakdown

IMG_2901.JPG

Yes, more and more is getting out...
I am excited what 4hey'll make of it, but mostly because my expectations in adaptions are pretty low anyways after the dreadful hobbit movies.I think it will be okay, and i hope entertaining. And i still watch any youtube stream about leaks and rumour...

The people involved are all pretty good, the actors, the directors, the writers...
Only question is how much will it be tolkien and middle-earth, how much something entirely new based removedly on some tolkien motifs. And:will i like it anyway?

Yeah Haerangil, I recognise my own feelings there. I guess each one of us will have their own reactions to the final result though. And I assume my reactions will be mixed - not a hard guess... I'm actually more optimistic than pessimistic, I'm actually looking forward to it quite a lot - but not totally without fear (mostly because there is too much I don't like about Jackson's movies, wich are loveable in some ways but I don't like the ethos of the whole suite, especially the Hobbit films - and I'm a bit scared that Amazon will do something similar - but I have hope!)

Heard there will be two durins, father and son so... they most likely do not follow the reincarnation/reawakening motif. Anyway... 3 and 4 are the most likely durins for the era, agreed.

Judging by the time series (Second Age?), I would imagine that this Durin is either Durin III (who received the Ring of Power) or Durin IV.
I agree, III or IV are the possible alternatives. There’s some evidence that points to him just being in the first two episodes, which would imply that it’s Durin III.

Back