Amazon series: reactions to news and rumours. (Spoiler alert!)

Somehow i also doubt the tables posted above... Nolion and Ontamo are male names, Hildrun and leofwyn are female ones... i wouldn't take any of those identifications for granted.

Somehow i also doubt the tables posted above... Nolion and Ontamo are male names, Hildrun and leofwyn are female ones... i wouldn't take any of those identifications for granted.
Yeah we should be a bit skeptical about this list of course, although I am sure the creators of the list have less grasp of Numenorean names than you have, so we shouldn't read too much into the names on the list (although one might think the difference between the two sets is obvious). Or perhaps the list is correct, and it signifies some hidden meaning, perhaps the friends have an unclear gender?

I really hope they have some people who help them with Tolkien names! Noone EVER should be named Tyra...

Pretty certain.However if the posted list is true Kemen is not...and that also is not a name..

But i don't wanna be nitpicky about uncertain details at this point.I'll be that as soon as there is actually published stuff that i can tear apart.

A good example is the new foundation series... IMHO.It is only a very loose adaption of Asimovs work, it takes some names and motifs from his books, expands on them, fleshes things out, it also changed and alters also a lot, yet i have to admit i quite like it, even if it is very different from the books.If Lotronprime achieves the same thing with me i'd already be quite happy.

I agree that Kemen raises questions. It makes me wonder, but at the same time, I’m not that much of a language expert to describe exactly why.

Yeah Foundation… I like it, too - mostly. The books have parallels to Tolkien’s work in spanning so many years, and I appreciate their ways of handling that. Some of the storylines work really well. I like the Empire parts best, I think the other plot lines don’t work 100%, I feel distanced somehow, even though I like some of the characters, like Gaal and Salvor. There’s a vagueness and a lack of depth.
I don’t think I will feel the same about the Amazon series. Even though Tolkien wrote comparatively little about Numenor, the world is still more fleshed out and there will, I think, be depth. There will be choices I would not have made of course, and certainly things I will dislike, and things I will think are dead wrong, but I’m really happy they’re making this series, so yeah, I don’t want to be nitpicky at this point when almost everything is vague. :)

Last edited:
Foundation at times is quite confusing, and the narrative is asymetrical and partially achronological, yet for example it invented the genetic dynasty to have four or five quasi-immortal main characters (three clones, two robots, maybe six if we cound seldon too) to hold it all somehow together... i think that isn't bad, given that season 1 covered pretty much only the first three stories, spiced with a few snippets from pre-foundation and other Asimov stuff

Last edited:
I agree, III or IV are the possible alternatives. There’s some evidence that points to him just being in the first two episodes, which would imply that it’s Durin III.
Apparently there’s another code name for Durin, “Brac”, which I believe Owain Arthur will play (could be wrong about this), so it looks like we will have two Durins. Probably Durin III will be in the introductory episodes, but maybe also an old king who dies in later episodes, handing over the crown to Durin IV.

A speculation at last... i still hope they don't completely drop that rebirth/reawaken thing... it would rob them of another possibly immortal character who could bring some stability to the plot when there are no Elves around. I would'nt do it if i was them.Luckily i am not!

Yeah...So they could use the same actor for Durin III and Durin IV. I wonder, if that's the case, why they apparently have two code names for the two? (Shrugging) I guess we will find out soon enough...

Well, we have a title now....

We had so little information for so long, I have had, like, zero anticipation for this project. I mean, I guess I will watch it eventually. I'll give it a chance. The image of the Two Trees was very pretty. I hope the rest of the visuals are good. But, well...so far, I haven't seen anything else that has caught my interest at all. Not saying it will be bad. Just...not much to get excited about (yet) from my perspective.

If nothing else, there was nice attention to detail: the neo-Sindarin ring verse around the title letters, the water flooding in at the mention of Men, the elemental combinations parallel to the Elven rings, the usage of Shore's Ring motif chords, good pronunciation. There's also more speculative stuff like the ridge of metal with the steam/smoke looking like the Ephel Dúath, at the mention of Mordor, the crust on the molten metal breaking open at the mention of the dwarven halls of stone. Definitely well-made with a variety of audiences in mind (from hardcore linguist-level enthusiasts to people who might vaguely recall Galadriel's opening voice-over).

Back