Amazon series: reactions to news and rumours. (Spoiler alert!)

Just because we haven't seen characters yet does not mean they aren't in the story. They may not be introduced in Season 1, or there may be some 'surprise' about their appearance that they are saving for later. Or, despite having a name, they may play a minor role.

I recall when casting was announced for Peter Jackson's films, some people got upset over the 'absence' of Eomer, because Eowyn had been announced, but he had not. Naturally, Eomer was eventually cast and included in the project, and there is no reason to think that they ever intended to cut his character - he just wasn't announced with some of the other main cast.

Sure!
And, despite all the venom from a certain very obvious group of people in the commentary sections: they keep us talking, they get reactions, they get media echo, and even controversity is good because it raises attention. Amazon does a very good job with that, from a publicity pov, in my opinion...

And they keep us speculating and curious too. Interesting to watch how that works...

Dark is always manifested, fair can be masked. If silver were dominant over black, Luthien would have Thingol's hair colour, not Melian's. So
Jumping in on this discussion very late, but: we know from LotR that many Hobbit children were born in the year after Sauron's defeat with fair hair "which had previously been rare in the Shire".

I believe some sort of magic is involved. Genetics does not determine everything in Middle Earth!

Wow it’s been a bumpy ride on social media since the teaser trailer dropped. The Rings of Power series have really received a lot of abuse - but it has also been defended. Personally I was really happy by the most recent turn of events, when a number of prominent Tolkien scholars and writers were invited to a special presentation by the show runners. In particular, I felt Corey Olsen’s and Shaun Gunner (Chair of the Tolkien Society) was heartening. … But it also made me impatient for a new trailer!

So far there have been many ups and downs, both from the production company as well as the fandom...

I personally liked many of the published designs and visuals but disliked many of the leaked names and plotlines. We will see...
I am somewhat torn between wanting to defend a thing against attacks which i found unfair and biased and being more than just a bit sceptical on my own terms.

Last edited:
My impression is certainly mixed at this point. I liked the title trailer, and much of the visuals, but I agree that some of the names make me less happy. I feel uncertain about some of the plotlines, I think we will just have to wait and see what works.

So far there have been many ups and downs, both from the production company as well as the fandom...

I personally liked many of the published designs and visuals but disliked many of the leaked names and plotlines. We will see...
I am somewhat torn between wanting to defend a thing against attacks which i found unfair and biased and being more than just a bit sceptical on my own terms.

Eh, I'm not too concerned by information in leaks. Even if it's accurate, it doesn't mean that the names mentioned in the leaks are actually the finalized versions for the show. Codenames and whatnot, you know?

018B070A-9274-4F1F-85F4-B4F513C6B13F.jpegOne of three covers on the next issue of Empire shows the Harfoots. What do you think? Personally I like them.

I like that mushrooms feature prominently in this image. I am a bit disappointed by the costumes, but I imagine they are going for 'rustic' and so I must excuse the 'shapeless sack' dynamic.

I like that mushrooms feature prominently in this image. I am a bit disappointed by the costumes, but I imagine they are going for 'rustic' and so I must excuse the 'shapeless sack' dynamic.
I like the homespun quality of the fabrics - something I'd wear myself.

To be honest i am quite disapointed by the new pictures. THE halflings are somewhat okay, i could imagine stone-age nomadic proto-hobbits like this, butbthe Galadriel picture really calls to my mind generic d&d high elven warrioress... which is not good imho. The Dwarves also are depicted not in a very nice pose i am afraid.

Again what really makes me most uncomfortable are the names, i already said a lot about Disa.Sadoc at last is interesting as it is an arthurian name as wel as an old testament hebrew name.The rest feels really random generated and not well thoughtbthrough. So the Burrows clan is 5000 years old?

Yeah the names continue to be frustrating. Somebody said the Harfoot names sounded like Harry Potter names… quite fitting, regrettably

Back