Amazon series: reactions to news and rumours. (Spoiler alert!)

Just read the interview with Charles Edwards (Celebrimbor) in Fandom. Very satisfied that he understands the character. ‘A very private Elf’ - seems to be picking up on the Tolkien trope that nothing good happens when people spend too much time alone. Also confirmed that he is the grandson of Feanor - phew!

I was interested to hear that the character is essentially an amalgam of aspects from various versions of Celebrimbor that Tolkien wrote: a hint that perhaps there are targeted rights for the show for the texts where these versions of Celebrimbor are described. Even mention of a marginal note reported by Christopher in his editorial work.

I think there’s a difference between what an actor can use as background material as he builds his character on, and what they can explicitly depict in the show.
But I also really liked the Celebrimbor article.

The Gil-Galad article was also really nice! There’s been a lot of stuff happening recently…temperature’s rising

We wil see. What i see at myself is that i tend to be more positive and defending when people are unfair and attack the project and i become more sceptical and hesitant when people react more positive to it. What i still like about this board is that we do no fight and i see little spite.

Sorry, i feel a bit sad and let down because recently i have been in unecessary fights about elvish length of hair .

I wonder if they adress it in their version why Celebrimbor is aging before his time... or if it just was a choice of actors for a different reason.

I also hope in future we will see Gil-Galad more in silver...

Last edited:
Hopefully Gil-Galad will have silvery armour.

I am really looking forward to the show. I realise this is risky as it opens for the possibility of disappointment, but I don’t mind. I do have questions and worries (some names, some of the effects of the time compression, what the pacing will be like, the dialogue, the meteor man and whether some characters will be in the series or not) but then I didn’t like 100% of the PJ movies and I find them enjoyable (not The Hobbit series).

I am really looking forward to the show. I realise this is risky as it opens for the possibility of disappointment, but I don’t mind. I do have questions and worries (some names, some of the effects of the time compression, what the pacing will be like, the dialogue, the meteor man and whether some characters will be in the series or not) but then I didn’t like 100% of the PJ movies and I find them enjoyable (not The Hobbit series).

The Hobbit movies imho have three redeeming elements - Bilbo, Thorin and first and foremost - Thranduil (even if not faultless). I can disregard the rest just for those. Has this series something similar? Have not seen such yet hinted on... Maybe it has not appeared yet - but as there are only 2 months left it slowly should have been shown by now?

I have to agree. The Hobbit movies had a great Bilbo, Gandalf, 13 dwarves, Bard, Thranduil and three great Trolls!
The bad things i don't even wanna start!

I dislike many of the shorter elven haircuts in trop, but it's not like it drives me mad.All in all i am but curious.

Last edited:

I’m also looking forward to the show - I’m hungry for stories featuring Elves that don’t have one foot out the door. I like the PJ LoTR films but not without criticism. Main thing I like is that it LOOKS like Middle Earth to me and I think with John Howe’s art work and what we have seen so far, the new series will also look and feel like ME. I liked the design in the Hobbit movies but I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch them again since I saw them at the cinema.

I dislike many of the shorter elven haircuts in trop, but it's not like it drives me mad.All in all i am but curious.

I have far less problem with short hair elves than with the random hair colours of those that we know their hair colours for from the texts - if we do know their hair colour from the books, it most often does specifically mark their bloodline - so to randomly change them confuses the geneologies for me. And e.g. imho - for Elrond Halfelven and Celebrimbor the grandson of Feanor both - their genealogy is one of the main challenges they are facing in their lives and do need to deal with. So to visually cut them of from their respective bloodlines by randomly changing their hair colour does worry me - that their characters will be made somehow into "random generic elf princes" as well.

Last edited:
Most elves should be dark haired imho, with very few exceptions...
Some few red and golden among the Noldor, some few silver and blonde among the Teleri. Sadly PJ already established the blonde-elves thing instead. Now they are going into "lets continue PJs overall aestetics but give them some twist"

And i dislike many of their choices aestetically too, not just in textual continuity context.Weapons and armour are a thing too... not just length of hair, also timeline, compression, names etc. Etc.

No, neither Allan Lee nor John Howe ever were my favourite Tolkien illustrators... that would be Angus Mac bride, Liz Danforth and Anke Eismann!

Last edited:
Most elves should be dark haired imho, with very few exceptions...
True, but Thingol's extended family being various shades of grey/silver/golden/blonde is understandable too.

Still Elrond is explicitly dark-haired and this is important beyond just "random elvishness" - it signifies his connection back to Melian and Luthien - even if he happens to be also the only elvish descendant of Thingol currently left alive in ME.
So is Celebrimbor's being the heir of dark-haired Feanor - resembling him also in appearance - and being the "pure Noldo" - lacking any blood connection to the Sindar and their ruling house at all - a connection that e.g. Galadriel has - both by blood and by marriage, (and that even Gil-Galad has - by his Sinda mother).
All this demarcation gets completely confused by making Elrond and Celebrimbor blonde for no reason at all. It will also make Celeborn and Celebrimbor even harder to keep apart - whenever Celeborn will be shown (as I really hope they do not make him dark-haired).
I can care less for Gil-Galad's hair in the series - even if I do like Tolkien's "all-silverly" Gil-Galad - as this is purely aesthetics and has no real bearing for the story. But for Elrond and Celebrimbor it imho has.

The weapons are less my things of concern, as fashion can change significantly from season to season.

Messing up the Numenoreans? - Less so, was never a fan of those really - beyond Elros himself - would have liked to have known who his wife was and how he has chosen her - growing up among elves all of his life before.
That would be a story I would have cared about - the remnants of the Edain gathering around a former elfing and starting something new and big on a foreign island and him learning how to be a human, king and husband. The traumatized refugees coming together, forced to re-invent themselves without the shadow of war that has defined them for generations untill now - the outburst of post-war creativity and industry and inventiveness - just to find themselves questioned by their own spoiled children who do not know any adversity and take every bliss for granted and find their "old folk" coarse, funny and ridiculous in their concerns... ;)

Last edited:
See, and i like the Numenoreans, and am sceptic on those extremely conservative elves changing that much over the millenia at all..

If they do not give their warriors the high-belled winged and fishcrest helmets i will be very angry

Can anybody confirm or refute the rumour that Celeborn is dead and in Mandos - replacing Glorfindel in being reembodied?

I assume that rumor exists because we haven't seen him yet?
As far (which is not very far, regrettably) as I was able to check - those spreading it claim access to some inside sources - but as I have no way of checking those claims myself at all - so I asked here if maybe someone here knows more either way? The issue is that the rumour seems to have started to spread around further, as such I thought to address it, maybe someone here knows more?

Last edited:
And another question that I have seen being raised was - if we need a young feisty yet unripe she-elf why not take Celebrian instead of forcing Galadriel into a role she should have outgrown long ago? Celebrian needs serious fleshing out, she is a blank slate - one can do anything with her without destroying any expectations - and her being later ambushed and tortured by orcs would make so much more sense if they had a personal grudge against her? Making her not born yet makes Elrond look like a cradle robber later.

Last edited:
First of all: Celeborn taking ghe place of Glorfindel? Wow if they do that, the fandom will explode haha!

I think they chose doing Galadriel this way because there’s something like it in the sources. Sure maybe not in a specific way, but she’s in her twenties I believe so it’s not unbelievable.
I do have concerns about how they deal with Galadriel and Celeborn. I agree that Celebrian being born much later than Elrond could be a big problem. But I’m going to wait and see how they do it. I’m not saying age is just a number, not in the real world, but perhaps with these elves? She’ll grow up and then they’re basically on the same biological level?

First of all: Celeborn taking ghe place of Glorfindel? Wow if they do that, the fandom will explode haha!

Why, all stays in the family, like granddaughter so her grandfather - why not?

And about Galadriel's being in her 20's - difficult to pull of convincingly if your very own little grand-nephew is the current High King already at his very tender age then? But even if they make Gil-Gald the son of Fingon, he is still much much younger than her - born in the 1st Age in ME while she has been been born in the Years of the Trees, she is a cousin of his father then and only little younger than he (Fingon) was? So if Gil-Galad is old enough to be High-King she should not be runnning around having young adult problems - either way they take.

Last edited:
Back