An alternate route from Rivendell for the Quest?

Flammifer

Galdor and Elrond are paranoid about the road west.

Galdor says, "If the return to Iarwain be thought too dangerous, then flight to the Sea is now frought with gravest peril. My heart tells me that Sauron will expect us to take the western way..... Only the waning might of Gondor stands now between him and a march in power along the coasts into the North."

Elrond says, "The westward road seems easiest. Therefore it must be shunned. It will be watched. Too often the Elves have fled that way."

Now, if Galdor had not been such a NIMBY, and if Elrond had thought harder, they might realize that Sauron has no forces in place along the road west, and, that if he has spies, there is little they could do to stop the right Company from getting through from Rivendell to the Grey Havens. If we have read all of TLOTR, we know that there are no enemy forces (possible exception of barrow-wights) anywhere near the road west.

So, alternative route: Head west, on horse, along good roads, to the Havens - about 440 miles. Get on one of Cirdan's ships. Sail down to say near the mouth of the Poros River - about 1,500 miles. Then enter Mordor from the south west (likely to be a pass near the source of the Poros through the Mts. of Shadow avoiding the Morannon or Morgul Vale and Cirith Ungol) and head up towards Mt. Doom from the south (while Sauron's attention is mostly compelled to the west) - about 260 miles from disembarkation to Mt. Doom.

This route would be much longer in miles than the route taken (which was about 700 miles), but would possibly be faster. From Rivendell to the Havens on horse on good roads should take about 3 weeks. The sea voyage (assuming Elvish ships can average circa 5 knots) should take less than 2 weeks. The last stretch of 260 miles up the Poros, into Mordor, through Mordor to Erebor should take something like 3 weeks. That makes a journey of about 2 months, which is about the same time the actual quest did take, if you take out the month rest in Lothlorien. But, in this case, the Company would have a 2 week rest on the Elvish ship instead.

This route would also cause Sauron to ponder (if his spies reported it). Is the Ring going to the Blessed Realms? Did they hide it along the way? Are they going to keep it with Cirdan? Are they going to throw it into the sea? Are they going to fight over it until a rival emerges?

This route also has a plan B attached for much of the route: If disaster strikes, the Ring goes into the Sea. Not as good as into the Fire, but better than into the hands of Sauron.

Do you think that this route was considered by Gandalf and Elrond?

By the way, I wish I knew what Gandalf's plan was for getting into Mordor? And, why didn't Frodo know what it was?

Galdor and Elrond are paranoid about the road west.

Galdor says, "If the return to Iarwain be thought too dangerous, then flight to the Sea is now frought with gravest peril. My heart tells me that Sauron will expect us to take the western way..... Only the waning might of Gondor stands now between him and a march in power along the coasts into the North."

Elrond says, "The westward road seems easiest. Therefore it must be shunned. It will be watched. Too often the Elves have fled that way."

Now, if Galdor had not been such a NIMBY, and if Elrond had thought harder, they might realize that Sauron has no forces in place along the road west, and, that if he has spies, there is little they could do to stop the right Company from getting through from Rivendell to the Grey Havens. If we have read all of TLOTR, we know that there are no enemy forces (possible exception of barrow-wights) anywhere near the road west.

So, alternative route: Head west, on horse, along good roads, to the Havens - about 440 miles. Get on one of Cirdan's ships. Sail down to say near the mouth of the Poros River - about 1,500 miles. Then enter Mordor from the south west (likely to be a pass near the source of the Poros through the Mts. of Shadow avoiding the Morannon or Morgul Vale and Cirith Ungol) and head up towards Mt. Doom from the south (while Sauron's attention is mostly compelled to the west) - about 260 miles from disembarkation to Mt. Doom.

This route would be much longer in miles than the route taken (which was about 700 miles), but would possibly be faster. From Rivendell to the Havens on horse on good roads should take about 3 weeks. The sea voyage (assuming Elvish ships can average circa 5 knots) should take less than 2 weeks. The last stretch of 260 miles up the Poros, into Mordor, through Mordor to Erebor should take something like 3 weeks. That makes a journey of about 2 months, which is about the same time the actual quest did take, if you take out the month rest in Lothlorien. But, in this case, the Company would have a 2 week rest on the Elvish ship instead.

This route would also cause Sauron to ponder (if his spies reported it). Is the Ring going to the Blessed Realms? Did they hide it along the way? Are they going to keep it with Cirdan? Are they going to throw it into the sea? Are they going to fight over it until a rival emerges?

This route also has a plan B attached for much of the route: If disaster strikes, the Ring goes into the Sea. Not as good as into the Fire, but better than into the hands of Sauron.

Do you think that this route was considered by Gandalf and Elrond?

By the way, I wish I knew what Gandalf's plan was for getting into Mordor? And, why didn't Frodo know what it was?

I think Gangalf thought about the Poros gorge too - maybe he planned to go down the Anduin up to the mouth of Poros and then up the river to the ford. And I do actually think this was the road that Faramir hinted at to Frodo when Frodo asked him about an alternative to Cirith Ungol, and he answered of the "younger men" "of Gondor" not having "set foot upon the Mountains of Shadow". The Gap in the Mountains of Shadow at the Poros gorge seems quite wide on the maps - far wider than the Morgul Vale. It must be possible to enter there without actually "setting foot upon the mountains". This must have been the way caravans from the South entered Mordor with diverse goods. With Gandalf connections to the South it seems feasible for him to arrange to join one of those caravans disguised as some of the Haradrim merchants and have a ride, either on horse/camel or a waggon, almost up to Barad-Dur itself. And even without Gandalf, pretending to be an helper/slave of a Southern merchant would be easier than pretending to be an orc for the hobbits.

Below the map from an excellent article on this topic:
1631773264605.png

Last edited:
Back