Andreth

Ange1e4e5

Andreth (Sindarin for patience, long-suffering), also known as Saelind meaning “Wise-heart”, is a wise-woman of the House of Beor, and beloved of Aegnor. Intelligent and passionate, she pushes for the House of Beor to relocate to Ladros, having seen the problems inherent in their closeted existence in Nargothrond (we have the House of Beor moving to Nargothrond instead of Estolad before going to Ladros).

Being a member of the House of Beor, she’s definitely dark-haired. To contrast the more muscular Haleth, we could either have her be tall and slender or more petite.

Most of what we know of Andreth's character is from the 'Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth' in HoME X: Morgoth's Ring.

It contains these descriptions of her as a young woman:

"Yet then thou wert a maiden, brave and eager, in the morning upon the high hills of Dorthonion."
"Now he will ever remember thee in the sun of morning, and that last evening by the water of Aeluin in which he saw thy face mirrored with a star caught in thy hair —ever, until the North-wind brings the night of his flame."

And she describes herself after the death of her grandfather, when she is about 50 year old:
"Say: who art now but a wise-woman, alone, and age that shall not touch him has already set winter's grey in thy hair!"

Her main characteristic is to be a wise-woman, which is described in the text as follows:
"Of the Wise some were women, and they were greatly esteemed among Men, especially for their knowledge of the legends of ancient days."
It goes on to mention that Bëor was one of the wise, and that Finrod was closest in friendship with Andreth, because she was actually willing to talk to him in a way that some of the other human Wise people were not ;).

I’ve been thinking of Andreth as a contrast to Haleth; not so much Wonder Woman as much as Elizabeth Bennet (the original literary version, not the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies).

Lily James
Height: 5'7"
Roles: Rose MacClure in Downton Abbey, Cinderella in Cinderella (2015), Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Debora in Baby Driver. She's also been cast as the second Mrs. de Winter in Rebecca (alongside our Maedhros, Armie Hammer).
Lily James has come up a couple times for Luthien and Idril, and could be an option for Andreth. Very good at playing a wholesome nice girl, with brains and occasionally some brawn.

d00420b6319d0595882892709f146343.jpg

Last edited:
I'm wondering how many different actresses we will need for Andreth, from her youth to her adult years and later years - it's not certain yet when exactly her story starts and ends in the show, but we couldn't have the same actress for a woman of 23 and a woman of 70+ years right? Or do we chalk all that up to CGI magic?

I'm wondering how many different actresses we will need for Andreth, from her youth to her adult years and later years - it's not certain yet when exactly her story starts and ends in the show, but we couldn't have the same actress for a woman of 23 and a woman of 70+ years right? Or do we chalk all that up to CGI magic?
We might use the same actress for young adult to middle age, but not sure on elderly years.

In TV shows, it's not uncommon to just put makeup on your actors and say they are old. Like in the original series Star Trek. But that was a low budget show with less than impressive special effects. Now, they can deage or age up an actor with special effects, but with limited success. So, Robert Downey Jr plays a teenage version of himself at the beginning of Civil War, and they have young versions of Princess Leia and Grand Moff Tarkin in some of the later Star Wars films. I think that the best example is in A Beautiful Mind, where one actor plays a range of ages for the main character.

So there are options. But I think that the first step would be to figure out which episodes she will appear in, and if the audience can reasonably be expected to recognize her. Introducing a completely new actress to play Andreth for the final episode when she delivers her commentary on the season is likely not a good plan.

I like Anna Paquin for the role. She's got a fantastic smile, but does serious well. Plus, she's pretty but not cliched Hollywood pretty (IMHO). Her face is more interesting than beautiful.

Attachments

• Anna Paquin 2.jpg
    Anna Paquin 2.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Anna Paquin 1.png
    Anna Paquin 1.png
    849 KB · Views: 2
  • Anna Paquin 3.jpg
    Anna Paquin 3.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Conservely, if we want to go in a completely different direction, I could see Zendaya in the role. I was really impressed in her abilities in The Greatest Showman. She's only 23, though, so we'd probably have to cast another actress for Old Andreth -- I think makeup/CGI would look silly for her case.

Zendaya 4.jpgZendaya 3.jpgZendaya 1.jpg

Another suggestion for the role could be Maisie Williams. Like Zendaya she’s also 23, and I know that Williams is known for being action girls like Arya Stark and Wolfsbane in The New Mutants, but that’s the interesting part (I like to play with typecasting). One of the other things that Arya had about her, particularly in the earlier seasons, is being a good judge of character (barring Season 7) and being savvy from the get-go, which endeared her to a lot of fans in the early going. I think we could play up that angle a bit more.
maisie-williams-aka-arya-stark-of-game-of-thrones-someone-told-me-in-season-three-that-i-was-going-to-kill-the-night-king001.jpg

Last edited:
Olivia Cooke
Height: 5'5"
Roles: Jane Harper in The Quiet Ones, Lizzie Cree in The Limehouse Golem, Samantha Cooke/Art3mis in Ready Player One
the-limehouse-golem-olivia-cooke.jpg
9f200deef798d9452daf22300de7247f.jpg

For an older Andreth:

Susan Sarandon
Height: 5'6"
Roles: Janet Weiss in The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Sister Helen Prejean in Dead Man Walking, Spider in James and the Giant Peach, Narissa in Enchanted
susan-sarandon-e1558023164484.jpg
RockyHorrorSusanSarandon.jpg

To clarify what we are looking for with Andreth:

Two actresses - one in her late twenties, and one in the 60-70 age range.

Both actresses should look believably like the same person...but of course makeup/hair/contacts/etc can be used to help that along.

The House of Bëor should be 'Mediterranean' in appearance, so keep that in mind when making suggestions...it's meant to be a broad guideline, but at the very least, dark hair is required for the younger character, and we'll likely be putting silver/grey/white into the hair for the older character.

I have another actress in mind for the younger Andreth, but I'm having trouble with pairing an older actress.

Kaya Scodelario
Height: 5'6"
Roles: Catherine Earnshaw in Wuthering Heights (2011), Teresa in the Maze Runner films, Carina Smyth-Barbossa in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
583b76d9ec90d1f2f58fd5f1627dcb6a.png
Kaya-Scodelario-in-The-Maze-Runner.jpg

I do think that Olivia Cooke as a young Susan Sarandon could work very well! Just...perhaps not for Andreth. They would be more likely to fit in the House of Hador.

Sorry ran into problems when trying to post pictures. You’ll find these actresses easily enough

Back