Annael

I don't know... i am looking for a face... someone who can believably depict sorrow, pain, self-doubt and remorse and yet stoutness, valour and wisdom.

Oscar Isaac will probably never be cast as an elf in this project due to his height. He certainly has a better chance of being cast as a mortal.

Age: young enough to look like an Elf who hasn't aged a bit.
Height: not as tall as the guys who we cast for Turgon, Maedhros, and Thingol
Hair: I think we can use a wig?

1.74 m? Not all elves are about 2 m tall...
we know the Eldar were tall, and the high eldar the tallest. But what does that mean?
there still are the Avari, the Nandor...

Orlando bloom is 1.80 ...

The Hosts seem to like their elves to be in the 6' (1.83 m) range, though they have certainly allowed some shorter actors to be cast.

I agree that the tallest of the elves are taller than that, and I do believe we cast some actors who were more 6'4" (1.93 m) for some taller characters such as Turgon and Thingol.

Really, the problem is that practically all of Tolkien's characters are 'tall', and you can't just cast all tall people for everything. I mean, you could, but then they don't even look tall.

But I do think that there was a general desire to keep the elves tall, so that when we get to mortals, we can make them a little shorter.

As for age, we're trying to focus on actors under the age of 40 when casting elves from now on. Yes, we did cast some older actors for some elvish roles, but we may not have been entirely wise to have done so! ;)

So, for Annael, I would imagine we're looking for someone who is approximately 6', dark hair (or silver wig), and under 40. He would have to be able to portray someone who is betrayed; the scene where the rug is pulled out from under him should convey how shocked he is by the truth. And, he'll have to do whatever 'hypnotized' thing we come up with to show he is not acting under his own will. And we'll want him to have a fatherly aspect with Tuor. Also probably an exiled/slightly wild phase where he's a loner.

Try to see my point here...
The average elf is what?6'4?

Yet the tallest elves are as tall as 8'1, 8,2 or possibly even up to 9'!

But our tallest actors are probably only 6'4!

And the difference between 6'4 and 5'7 is far less significant than between 6'4 and 9'!

Yeah, the hosts have their personal preferences... but these are often irrational in my perception ( not to be taken as a personal hostility or aversion, but as a critique).

I think it's more challenging to find actors 7-9 ft tall. And acting skill and face is part of the way people decide who to vote for.

I think our tallest actors are about 6'4".

You do not get my point!

John Rhys davies is 6'1, and he played a character who is possibly 4'2.

I am saying our 6'4 actors represent 8'2 elves, so saying a 5'7 actor cannot represent an 8'1 elf is... irrational.

I never suggested we should try to find 7-9 ' tall actors! I am not stupid...

Oh... I don't know anything about film techniques to make actors look taller than they really are. The idea didn't even occur to me as an option.

I think it is the case that actual casting agencies don't worry that much about height, and leave it to the costume department and director to make it work on camera. Short people have to stand on boxes or walk up ramps or wear lift shoes or stand on the stairwell to be in the shot. Tall people have to stand in a split or in the background or whatever.

Occasionally, a show will make a point of casting someone particularly tall or particularly short, but I do agree that the difference between a man who is 5'9" and a man who is 6' is not really something we should worry overly much about.

Do not overjudge my criticism. I just wanted to make a point that some... restrictions we give to ourselves are... a little silly in my eyes.

The Hosts have suggested Annael be small, wiry, and dark, with a sunnier personality than his later appearances.

Riz Ahmed
Height: 5’8”
Roles: Tarak in Centurion, Omar in Four Lions, Bodhi Rook in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Dr. Carlton Drake/Riot in Venom
20160808__CCT-RIZ-0818~1.JPG

riz-ahmed-solo-star-wars-header.jpg

Back