Announcement: Season 6 of Silm Film will begin on December 2, 2021!

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
We have finished Season 5, and therefore will now begin gearing up for the new season, starting in December!
Our schedule will remain the same, so 10 PM Eastern time, every other Thursday.

Season 6 will focus on the story of Beren and Lúthien, and will be a pivotal part of Sauron's story arc.

Wheeee!!!! It is also going to feature Finrod’s total awesomeness (yes, I know it ends badly) and Nargothrond politics. Will it include Hurin and Huor in Gondolin?
One big difference to all the other seasons - it only lasts a few years. Will we be having Fingon shifting into High King mode? Setting up Gil-Galad and Finduilas?

Wheeee!!!! It is also going to feature Finrod’s total awesomeness (yes, I know it ends badly) and Nargothrond politics. Will it include Hurin and Huor in Gondolin?
One big difference to all the other seasons - it only lasts a few years. Will we be having Fingon shifting into High King mode? Setting up Gil-Galad and Finduilas?

A discussion for December 2nd, no doubt!

Húrin and Huor in Gondolin will likely be saved for the first episode of Season 7, but Húrin and Huor going missing and Galdor not knowing where his sons are (thinking them dead?) could be a plotline in Season 6.

We will definitely need Fingon-as-High-King for Season 7. There will likely be references to this in Season 6. I don't know if we'll have Fingon on screen, though....

We will be setting up Gil-galad and Finduilas as part of the Nargothrond story. We will likely be sending Gil-galad to Círdan while Celegorm and Curufin rule Nargothrond.

A discussion for December 2nd, no doubt!

Húrin and Huor in Gondolin will likely be saved for the first episode of Season 7, but Húrin and Huor going missing and Galdor not knowing where his sons are (thinking them dead?) could be a plotline in Season 6.

We will definitely need Fingon-as-High-King for Season 7. There will likely be references to this in Season 6. I don't know if we'll have Fingon on screen, though....

We will be setting up Gil-galad and Finduilas as part of the Nargothrond story. We will likely be sending Gil-galad to Círdan while Celegorm and Curufin rule Nargothrond.
Definitely references; there's a mention in Chapter 19 (Beren and Luthien) that Beren had a price on his head equivalent to that of Fingon's.

Is the Nirnaeth in season 7? On that topic, is there a post here in the forum with the proposed season stories? I know it might be out of date what with the old season 4 being split in two.

Is the Nirnaeth in season 7? On that topic, is there a post here in the forum with the proposed season stories? I know it might be out of date what with the old season 4 being split in two.
My guess is season 7 would be Nirnaeth, season 8 would be Turin, season 9 would be Fall of Gondolin (note would Fall of Doriath also come here? Or season 8?), Season 10 Earendil, Season 11 War of Wrath. Season 12 Foundation of Numenor. After than I have no ideas.

What is currently confirmed is that Season 6 will be Beren & Lúthien, and Season 7 will be the Nirnaeth. After that...is up for discussion. We have not decided how to handle the concurrent (but disparate) stories of Tuor and Túrin - separate seasons? combined? which order? - in Silm Film. I do agree that Corey Olsen has certainly expressed interest in having an 'Adventures of Eärendil' season, so we will certainly at least consider doing that.

Thanks all! I was trying to tell someone about the scope of the project, who asked about how far along it has gotten. There are often numbers of seasons bandied around, usually clearly partly in jest, so I was wondering how deep the planning has gone (I listened to a lot of the podcast back-issues this year while going to off sleep, and I think I've not left any big gaps, but it does not make for good fine detail retention)

What is currently confirmed is that Season 6 will be Beren & Lúthien, and Season 7 will be the Nirnaeth. After that...is up for discussion. We have not decided how to handle the concurrent (but disparate) stories of Tuor and Túrin - separate seasons? combined? which order? - in Silm Film. I do agree that Corey Olsen has certainly expressed interest in having an 'Adventures of Eärendil' season, so we will certainly at least consider doing that.
Don't forget the Ruin of Doriath.

Surely we need a whole season to do Earendil’s journeys… (although I’m aware there isn’t much actual written material to work with)

Oh but i have strong faith in the silmfilm team they will work and flesh out the simple outline we have! I want all of it, pygmies, Cannaibal ogres, the errantry on the celestial ocean and the battle against ungolianth! I was thinking...maybe some details from Eriols journey could be borrowed/adapted for missing stuff too.

My personal thought would be after Beren and Luthien, we have the Nirnaeth, Turin, Ruin of Doriath, and Tuor, as in the published Silmarillion (with Hurin and Huor in Gondolin during the Nirnaeth season).

Don't forget the Ruin of Doriath.
Perhaps the ruin of Doriath and the fall of Gondolin could be in the same season - a season of ruination! That would result in the two evacuations to the mouths of Sirion setting up Earendil and Elwing and the birth of Elrond and Elros for the following season. I was thinking about how to interlace Tuor and Turin - we could have their youths in the same season - Tuor getting to Gondolin and the whole Turin story in one season. Both of these storylines set up the falls of the respective kingdoms, which can be in the following season. The ‘ruination’ season will also see the Oath of Feanor coming back to bite - so plenty that can be done with the Feanorians in the lead up to the next kin slaying.

Also I can imagine that the Nirnaeth season could end with Hurin’s capture and Morgoth’s curse. And Huor’s prediction to Turgon before he dies could come in the final episode as well. - setting up both Turin and Tuor’s stories in the following season.

Corey already has adressed his wish the Beren and Luthien season to be not just Beren and Luthien but also everythi g else that happens at the same time so... i guess he will insist onnthat type of storytelling for future seasons also.As long as the writing team is willing to go along with it...

So i guess the season could well end withnthe nirnaeth.

Corey already has adressed his wish the Beren and Luthien season to be not just Beren and Luthien but also everythi g else that happens at the same time so... i guess he will insist onnthat type of storytelling for future seasons also.As long as the writing team is willing to go along with it...

So i guess the season could well end withnthe nirnaeth.
That's going to be a lot to cram into a single season, Beren and Luthien on the one hand and the botched Alliance leading up to the Nirnaeth. Plus we have the Childhood of Túrin and Húrin and Huor in Gondolin.

Random thoughts from me: The Nirnaeth doesn’t become a twinkle in Maedhros’ eye until after the Beren and Luthien quest. I reckon season 6 will have its hands full starting with the immediate aftermath of the Dagor Braggolach, which will presumably focus on all of the areas of the former siege of Angband. After all, the BEren story is kicked off by this. Then there will be many more scenes with Sauron and his posse. I imagine that Celegorm and Curufin were welcomed to Nargothrond as refugees (Finrod was a hunting buddy of them), but we’ll need to explain why they went there and not Himring. Rising tensions between them and Finrod/Orodreth could be part of the storyline. I can see season 6 culminating with the return from the dead and a) BEren and Luthien going off to Ossiriand after healing the winter of Thingol and b) Maedhros’s (and other sons of Feanor) initial response to the Silmaril quest. That is, that there looks like hope that victory is possible, and for the oath to be fulfilled. There could even be discussions among the SofF about how to approach Thingol (Which will play out in season 7).

Back