Another idiomatic oddity

Timdalf

Now, I admit this has nothing to do with Tolkien, per se. So it's totally off topic. But I have noticed increasingly (in academic works) the use of a phrase "In the event.'..." Now, until recently I was familiar with the phrase "In any event," used to begin a sentence usually after a run down of various opinions and introducing a usually contrasting conclusion. So, is the first phrase a Britishism? And the latter an Americanism? And is the former considered good usage? Is it an equivalent for "In any event," or does have some other shade of meaning?

Hi Timdalf.

I think the two phrases have two different meanings.

"In the event", means that if some specific event happens, then something else is likely. "In the event that Congress passes a new stimulus package, stock prices will go up."

"In any event", means that whatever happens, something is likely. "In any event (considering all eventualities), central bank stimulus is likely to continue for the next few years."

"In the event" can often be substituted by "if". "In any event" can often be substituted by "regardless".

At least that is my interpretation.

Yes, fine... that is using "in the event" correctly... But that is not what I have been encountering. No event in time, but as a figure of speech in an logical or scholarly argument... For example: This was said and then this contrast was said, in the event this is outcome... Unfortunately I did not keep a list of examples... I wish I had some of the suspect books in digital format, then I could illustrate this

This was said and then this contrast was said, in the event this is outcome
I looked up "event" on Merriam-Webster online, and meaning 3.c is "Archaic: OUTCOME", so there's precedent, anyway.
I was fascinated to learn, during the course on Mallory, that axe for ask is also archaic, as in "can I axe you a question?".

Could you be referring to "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight"? ;) Where "axing questions" has a very literal application!!

"axing questions" has a very literal application!!
I can't actually remember the context in the book, and I can't review all 40 Mallory classes to find it (though I can't stop picturing John Cleese as Lancelot in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" flailing about with his sword killing everyone in sight including women and children) but oh yes, the tiffs people get into over small grammatical issues can be quite over the top, I agree:
WRONG: I axed him a question where do I hide the body.
RIGHT: I axed him. A question: Where do I hide the body?
;)

Back