Aragorn’s Heirlooms

CozyChamomile

I was just listening to the discussion in session 137 about what heirlooms Aragorn is referring to when he speaks of all the other heirlooms that have been lost and I was surprised that we didn’t discuss what seem to me the two biggest heirlooms that Elendil’s house has lost: the kingdoms of Arnor and Gondor. In the context of the exchange with Boromir about wether he (Boromir) wishes the house of Elendil to return to Gondor, it seems likely, or at least possible that Aragorn could be alluding to Elendil’s kingdoms that are his by birthright. (I know this is a question from a few shows back - I’m working very hard to get caught up!)

Referring to the kingdoms as heirlooms seems like a stretch.
It is not uncommon for royal and noble families to gather collections of valuable, normally portable, items. By leaving the lost heirlooms unnamed, only alluded to, it adds to the mythic air surrounding those that remain: The ring of Barahir, the shards of Narsil, and the scepter of Annuminas.
The Palantiri appear to be an example of the lost heirlooms.

To me, Aragorn's approach appears to be much less re-acquisitive (birthright), and much more taking his responsibility to his ancestors' vassals seriously, and personally.

Last edited:
Back