Are we being a little too harsh on Elrond?

Eliza

As invited, I want to offer a bit of a defense of the Elven rings. Well, at least one of the Elven rings. Well, at least the way it's been used. :)

I was struck by Peter Rybski's tongue-in-cheek "translation" of Elrond's discussion of the use of the Three. I definitely agree that's what Boromir might have heard in Elrond's explanations! But we've also established that Boromir has quite a limited (Gondor-centric) perspective. Taking a broader view, I think Elrond's use of Vilya appears in a better light.

I think Elrond fares especially well if we contrast him with Galadriel. It seems to me that Galadriel can, and perhaps should, legitimately be called out for using Nenya in a self-centered way. Lothlorien is isolated from its surroundings, deeply unhospitable, and indeed feared by its neighbors. Even the Fellowship barely makes it in alive. It's a lot harder to avoid the conclusion that Galadriel isn't doing much to help out the rest of Middle-earth -- at least as far as the explicit textual evidence goes (respecting the fact that we don't know what else she's doing to fight Sauron in her spare time).

In contrast, while Rivendell is a cordoned-off space, a haven, it's explicitly and intentionally open to those who have need of such a haven. If Lothlorien is like a gated community, Rivendell is more like a community house or drop-in center. It's focused on preserving an Elvish quality of peace and beauty, but others (including Dwarves, Men, and Hobbits) are welcomed into that sanctuary at need. It seems to me that in creating the Last Homely House, Elrond is putting the Elven rings' power of preservation to good use: maintaining a safe place for rest, recovery, and counsel-taking unique in the north of Middle-earth. It's not a coincidence that the Council of Elrond takes place here: where else could it safely take place?

Further, while some people seem to stay in Rivendell full-time, some -- including Elrond's own sons -- clearly use it as a sort of home base from which they venture out to help others (e.g., Elladan and Elrohir's involvement with the Rangers). In both The Hobbit and LotR, we see Rivendell used as a sort of staging area for assaults against Sauron and his allies. Similarly, we have evidence that it has filled similar roles in earlier times. I see Rivendell less as an isolated pocket of unadulterated Elvendom than as a sort of well from which the blessings of Elvendom can be drawn up and carried out into the world. (To take one pertinent example, it kept Aragorn safe and sheltered as a child...precisely so he'd live long enough and develop the abilities needed to lead his people against evil.)

In short, I would be sympathetic if Boromir felt that Elrond could have done more good with his ring in Gondor. But I suspect the northern part of the continent would be in much more dire straits if Elrond hadn't been holding down the fort in Rivendell. After all, the south at least has Gondor and its fortified capital. The north has nothing comparable.

None of this addresses the question of the goodness or badness of the creation of the Elven rings or the desires or impulses behind them. But once they existed, I would argue that Elrond did a pretty good job -- in part because he channelled the Elvish impulse toward preservation in a way that resisted the Elvish impulse to insularity and exclusion. This seems thoroughly in keeping with Elrond's position at the genetic intersection of the free peoples of the First Age. His haven reflects his identity: predominantly, but not purely, Elvish.

Finally, I can't help but think that Elrond's use of his ring reflects his own sense of ambition, or lack thereof. Perhaps it also reflects the fact that he got his ring second-hand: he may not have wanted it. He may not have wanted a top leadership position at all. If we compare this background to Galadriel's well-attested desire for a realm of her own, perhaps it's no surprise that he used his power in a more open-handed way.

Given that Elrond would have to be considered to have one of the strongest rights to claim the position of High King of the Noldor after the death of Gil-Galad, and that he doesn’t, I see two possible interpretations:
Elrond didn’t desire the responsibility; or
he was humble and desired to show respect for Gil-Galad, who is arguably the best of all of the people to hold the role of High King.

Elrond’s subsequent behaviour seems to argue against the first possibility.
Therefore his taking of one of the Three could be seen as an act of responsibility rather than ambition. I think this fits well with what you have presented.

Given that Elrond would have to be considered to have one of the strongest rights to claim the position of High King of the Noldor after the death of Gil-Galad, and that he doesn’t, I see two possible interpretations:
Elrond didn’t desire the responsibility; or
he was humble and desired to show respect for Gil-Galad, who is arguably the best of all of the people to hold the role of High King.

Elrond’s subsequent behaviour seems to argue against the first possibility.
Therefore his taking of one of the Three could be seen as an act of responsibility rather than ambition. I think this fits well with what you have presented.
Elrond also was human (or a fostered Sindar if one counts the functional adoption of Tuor by Annael) you count by patrilineal descent and elves were explicilty patrilinear. Also if he were to claim his descent maternally then he would be Sindar still as a descendant of Dior Eluchíl ("Thingol's Heir)". Anyway he would not be considored Noldor by Elvish reconing. So becoming the High King of he Noldor, even given his close blood-ties to the Noldor, would be out of question.

(Edit: Imho this is the reason of him being called Half-Elven even when his descend it 56,25 Elf (plus 6.25 Maia), and only 37,5 Man is because the Man is patrilinear. And also his children, though him, are still patrilinear human, even if their elvish levels are even higher then his: 78,125 Elf (plus 3,125 Maia) and only 18,75 Man, but that patrilinear.)

Last edited:
If strict patrilineal descent was that important then would his children even have the choice between Elven and Human status?

The fact remains that at the time of Gil-Galad’s death Elrond was the highest ranking male Elf of Noldorin descent left in Middle-Earth. The fact that the only other noble Noldor left in Middle-Earth were Galadriel and his wife and children makes it somewhat moot, and Elrond rules with the power of High King.

If strict patrilineal descent was that important then would his children even have the choice between Elven and Human status?
Yes, because he was still patrilinear human, as such so were his children through him. His choice was in variance with his patrilineal descent. See that Elros' - whose choice was in accordance with his patrilinear descent - children had no such choice to make. Elrond's choice was the exception to the rule, so his children were not bound by it, they still were able to claim their natural patrilinear heritage, if they decided to do so, Elros' choice followed the rules, as such his children simply just inherited it.

The fact remains that at the time of Gil-Galad’s death Elrond was the highest ranking male Elf of Noldorin descent left in Middle-Earth.
Elrond was no Noldo, his paternal grandmother (and his foster father Maglor) was. Erlond's own mother was a Sinda (if you consider Dior Thingol's Heir to count as one, because even Dior's status as a Sinda is controversial, as he was partilinear human). Tuor was admited among the Eldar, but even if his wife has been a Noldo, Tuor himself has been raised from birth by Grey Elves, not by the Noldor.
Celebrian was a Sinda after her father.
Elrond's children as himself were called Halfelven as they had no own Elvish tribal affilation. This is exclusively partilinear with elves.

The fact that the only other noble Noldor left in Middle-Earth were Galadriel and his wife and children makes it somewhat moot, and Elrond rules with the power of High King.
Glorfindel was Noldo and so was Gildor Inglorion and his company. There could have been still several other such companies roaming about.

Last edited:
This is from Appendix A, so one need not even rely on The Silmarillion.

The sons of Eärendil were Elros and Elrond, the Peredhil or Half-elven. In them alone the line of the heroic chieftains of the Edain in the First Age was preserved; and after the fall of Gil-galad the lineage of the High-elven Kings was also in Middle-earth only represented by their descendants.
At the end of the First Age the Valar gave to the Half-elven an irrevocable choice to which kindred they would belong. Elrond chose to be of Elven-kind, and became a master of wisdom. To him therefore was granted the same grace as to those of the High Elves that still lingered in Middle-earth: that when weary at last of the mortal lands they could take ship from the Grey Havens and pass into the Uttermost West; and this grace continued after the change of the world.

Elrond has been called Half-elven since birth, but since the end of the First Age he has been an Elf; his children are therefore Elves, not Half-elven (or Quarter-elven).

The matter of High-elven Kingship would require a recap of the history of the Vanyar, Noldor and Teleri. I always thought that Elrond considered the title bad luck....

But wasn't the choice also given to Elrond's children, although they were elves - and given how long they have lived, there can be no doubt of that.

But wasn't the choice also given to Elrond's children, although they were elves - and given how long they have lived, there can be no doubt of that.

Erlond's children more were like 3/4 elves (78,125%) , but still patrilinear human. Human fate was their hereditary right which could not have been taken away from them by Elrond's personal choice.

Elrond has been called Half-elven since birth, but since the end of the First Age he has been an Elf; his children are therefore Elves, not Half-elven (or Quarter-elven).
Three-Quarter-elven. But still patrilinear human, so never "fully-elven", regardless of how high the elven amount was.

The matter of High-elven Kingship would require a recap of the history of the Vanyar, Noldor and Teleri. I always thought that Elrond considered the title bad luck....

The Elven High-King is and still stays Ingwe.

We are talking about Elrond's entitlement to claim the Hinh-Kingship of the Noldor still remaining in Middle-Eath. To which he has no right, as he is no Noldo. He has some Noldo royal ancestry via Idril, but that's not enough.
His children have even more of that via their grandmother Galadriel.
So they all are descendants of Noldor kings, but always via the female lines. So no claim there.

Edit: Elrond woul have more claim to the thone of Thingol, as there we have the precedence of the Dior Thingol's Heir where the right to rule passes down via the daughter (Luthien), so as Elwing's brothers are assumed dead, the right to rule over the Sindar could again be passed down via Elwing to her son Elrond, but I doubt Elrond would like to fight over that with Thranduil.

Last edited:
I meant the choice of mortality or immortality. Elrond's children were given that choice, whatever percentage of human or elf they were.

I meant the choice of mortality or immortality. Elrond's children were given that choice, whatever percentage of human or elf they were.
This is exactly what I mean. Elros' children weren't given this choice as weren't Arwen's children because because their parents' choice was in accordance with their patrilinear descent. Were either Elladan or Elrohir to marry an elleth, their children would still be halfelven (even through their elven percentage would be higher still) and as such entitled to choose a mortal live, due to their patrilinear descent still being human.
Edit:
Had Arwen married an ellon, the child would automatically belong to the tribe of his/her father, and as such be an elf with no choice either.

Last edited:
Elrond's children were given that choice by special dispensation. Elros' children were not, and it was not a choice that could be inherited by future generations, no matter who married whom. It was specific to them.

Elrond's children were given that choice by special dispensation. Elros' children were not, and it was not a choice that could be inherited by future generations, no matter who married whom. It was specific to them.
It was a choice given to the Half-elves. As long as there would be new Half-elves being born, the choice would still apply.

Back