Arkenstone made by Feanor?

The question was raised what Feanor could make to prefigure the silmarils. Why not the Arkenstone? It would relate it in a way to the silmarils as a nod to its origins and yet keep it distinct.

The other possibility is Aule himself makes it and puts it at the heart of the mountain. This gives reason for the Dwarves to consider it a holy jewel. Perhaps Feanor apprenticed at its making and it inspired him to make jewels of his own.

Interesting thought! After all...the description of the Arkenstone and the description of the silmarils is quite similar. I would prefer Aulë as the maker of the Arkenstone, and I'm not sure how to bring that in to this season - is Aulë going to make it now and go stash it in a mountain in Middle Earth? Or has Aulë made many such gems, and that was one of his 'early models' in Middle Earth (before the destruction of the Lamps?) I think we are going to have to show gem-making pre-silmarils, and the Noldor should learn it from Aulë. I'm not sure we want to show the origin of the Arkenstone itself, though.

I kind of like the idea that the Arkenstone was made by Aulë, especially since it differentiates it from the Silmarils. He could have made one for each of the Dwarf fathers, perhaps. But on the other hand, if it is made by Aulë it becomes a super extraordinary object... I guess I'm boring but I'd prefer to have its origins shrouded in mystery.

We could show Aulë making beautiful gems now, and when we get to the Arkenstone (in 12 more seasons) it can look exactly like the gems Aulë was making, but no explanation of how it got into the Lonely Mountain is offered. Would that be 'mysterious' or 'cheating'?

When we first look in on Aule's workshop as he is first making the Dwarves, there is a lovely glowing jewel on his workbench. When he leaves to put the fathers of the Dwarves in their resting places, the jewel is gone.

Thinking it through, you are probably right. Avoiding the Jackson-esque interpretation as the Arkenstone as being the Dwarven equivalent of the Sword in the Stone is probably a very very very (add infinite amount of verys at your discretion) good idea.

Its not a bad idea to leave some mysteries lying around for the 50th Anniversary edition of the SilmFilm to tackle. ;)

I don't know; an item that is just there in the background and never commented on sounds pretty subtle to me! Keep in mind that it will 'reappear' 100s of hours of screen time later. That's....not exactly making it super obvious. And, well, on one level *of course* Aulë made the Arkenstone. He also made the Lonely Mountain. And all of the mountains of Middle Earth. And the dwarves. So.....

We could go for snark.

Earendil is walking on the deck of Vingilot and he trips and grabs a railing for support. But as he does so, one of the jewels that decorate the railing gets broken off and falls away. Earendil watches over the railing as the jewel falls into the mouth of a solitary volcano sitting just to the northeast of a great forest....

\
We could go for snark.

Earendil is walking on the deck of Vingilot and he trips and grabs a railing for support. But as he does so, one of the jewels that decorate the railing gets broken off and falls away. Earendil watches over the railing as the jewel falls into the mouth of a solitary volcano sitting just to the northeast of a great forest....

That is hilarious. Probably not the direction we want, but hilarious.

I don't know; an item that is just there in the background and never commented on sounds pretty subtle to me! Keep in mind that it will 'reappear' 100s of hours of screen time later. That's....not exactly making it super obvious. And, well, on one level *of course* Aulë made the Arkenstone. He also made the Lonely Mountain. And all of the mountains of Middle Earth. And the dwarves. So.....

It's also worth remembering that the Arkenstone was likely cut and shaped by the Dwarves (it's described as multi-faceted). So if Aulë made it, it won't have the exact appearance it does later.

We could go for snark.

That's great! Real funny.

Perhaps in a less snarky way it ends up in the earth during the War to Begin All Wars when the world was changed. Like Aule was wearing it to be fancy and it fell off in the fight. ...okay, that's still snarky.

Back