Balrogs

I would prefer to avoid accidental or humorous deaths when it comes to the balrogs, but I do think that working in the idea of falling is rather clever there.

I think that 'balrogs in lethal accidents' sounds like a name of a millenial indie band and not something I'd like to see in this series. Durin's Bane falls quite dramatically and survives, btw.

Perhaps a balrog is flattened by Ancalagon when he falls?
PJ already had someone flattened by a falling dragon, so maybe this would come off as more humorous than desired.

The idea of having Stephen Fry turn up for a cameo is attractive: maybe he could do Balrog voices?

The only other Dragon I recall having actual lines is Glaurung, for which I would think Fry would be a rather good candidate.

If nothing else, the voice casting sessions would be epic :cool:
I have Javier Bardem in mind for Glaurung myself.

I kinda always imagined Balrogs having their features and details obscured by shadows, so that not much is visible of the face except eyes and nostrils and mouth. Which are all full of flames, like Ba'alzamon in Wheel of Time. But then, I imagine them not really having flesh-and blood bodies with muscles, skin, etc. But on the other hand, they do have to have fully physical (and permanent) bodies or it wouldn't be possible to kill them permanently... they'd just come back from the dead, the way some other demons and all Maiar can.

A burnt-corpse look certainly makes sense during their fall and burning. As they change from beautiful elf-shaped angels into Balrogs.

I would like some of the pre-fallen Balrogs around Melkor in Season 1 to be female, in addition to Airen, who is still with them then. And so some of those who go off the destroy the lamps are female, but after that act (again, I think this was suggested earlier) all such distinctions become lost, at least visually. I'm sort of partial to the idea that the Balrogs looks interchangeable, except for Gothmog, after their fall.

Agreed Haerangil. It would be weird if the only female baddies are in Sauron's employ (Shelob and Thuringwethil). That could be taken as a statement about Morgoth we don't really mean. I think he's got enough bad-guy traits we don't need to throw in sexist to make him unlikable.
I can agree with this all. It would also potentially be an unfortunate implication if the only pre-Balrog to defect from evil is also the only female one...

Well, i think they only set themselves aflame when they ae really angry, so usually they shopuld have thar shadowy aura of "unlight" about them...
but I think there are ways to have this effect and still sometimes make more facial features visible.

They definitely -like Morgoth or the Valar- should have some kind of effect about them , it should be clear these are otherworldly beings!

well... sure... I wouldn#t want the balrogs to have bare skulls...
I would like them to have facial features, but maybe with different degrees of burning and scarification

Never seen/read anything with Ghost Rider, but going by my vague memory of how he looks... if we tone down the flame just a touch and spread it throughout the whole body, so that a balrog is low-key on fire all over, that could work.

didn#t like cage in that role at all... however i DID like their CGI Ghostrider. MCU Ghostrider i don´t like at all

Balrogs.

Other than Gothmog, maybe the rest of them don't use (maybe even don't remember?) their old names, and are only called by number, in black speech (or whatever language exists) denoting their rank in the hierarchy.
Black Speech doesn’t originate until the Second Age.

On the other hand, I couldn’t get this idea of casting an actor or actress as a prominent balrog other than Gothmog out of my head.

Not Black Speech, you're right. Morgoth invented some kind of language for Angband, but we don't even have a name for it.

Back