Barahir

Ange1e4e5

Barahir is the leader of the House of Bëor by the time of the Dagor Bragollach (this is changed from Bregolas in the published Silmarillion), who saves Finrod Felagund during that battle and receives his ring as a token of friendship between Finrod and the House of Bëor. Barahir, with 12 companions including his son Beren and nephews Baragund and Belegund, mounts a resistance against Morgoth in Dorthonion, which is eventually known as Taur-nu-Fuin. Five years after the Dagor Bragollach, he is betrayed by Gorlim the Unhappy and him and his companions massacred, with only Beren surviving.

The books version of Barahir is in his fifties by the Dagor Bragollach and 60 at his death, but here he is younger, from the range of 45-55 to accomodate having a son who is a young man (Beren is 23 by the Dagor Bragollach). As a member of the House he is likely dark-haired.

Last edited:
Is Oded Fehr too old for Barahir? I think with a shave and change of hair he could be versatile through 40-60s maybe? Not sure he can pass for 30s these days sadly.

1611920567232.png 1611920652234.png

Oh sure. Maybe we don't see him in his 30s? I don't know.

He certainly fits the bill and has the gravitas required for leadership for an older Barahir, which are really that character's focal years

Is Oded Fehr too old for Barahir? I think with a shave and change of hair he could be versatile through 40-60s maybe? Not sure he can pass for 30s these days sadly.

View attachment 3328 View attachment 3329
Yes I think he is a little too old. Well he's definitely older than the 30 something we're aiming for, but I guess the question is, how far can we stretch it? I assume 40 is some kind of limit.

I feel like, all battle bloodied or rough and ready with the Dirty Baker's Dozen, he could pass for a life-is-pretty-tough-right-now 40s? Maybe not 40/early 40s though.

Hair cut and a shave work wonders though. Plus, if you get an actor who can pull of the role, we could always say we are going to de-age him Marvel-style if it's too much of a stretch ??? Has that discussion been had?

There is also the fact of, I don't know about you, but most of the time a character's 'age' is informed by those around him. So as long as the actor playing Beor could pass for his father, and the actor playing Beren could pass for his son, an audience don't try to work out a character's age, as long as it feels 'right'.

To clarify, we will likely see Barahir in the following contexts:

Ep. 8 - As a child during the move from Nargothrond to Dorthonion (Ladros). He should be approximately 5 years old in FA 410.
Ep. 10 - Becoming a leader of the House of Bëor, replacing Andreth, to show the transition from 'wise leader' to 'combat-ready leader' that is now needed by their people. Barahir is thus the poster child for the 'new' lifestyle of the House of Bëor in Ladros. If this happens at roughly the same time as the double wedding, he will be approx. 31 years old.
Ep. 12-13 - Dagor Bragollach. He's roughly 50 years old. Barahir leads his people in this desperate battle, trying to save the escaping refugees, and eventually saving Finrod.
early Season 6 - Leader of the outlaw band. Age 55 at the time of his death.

Based on the discussion is Session 5-23, Barahir will not be cast as a child. He will be played by 'random 5 year old actor' in his first appearance, and we aren't doing the casting call for child actors for these roles.

If I understand the discussion correctly, we will be casting one actor for Barahir, and that actor will be in his 40's. That way, he can be 'introduced' in Ep. 10, and also play the older Barahir of the Dagor Bragollach and afterward.

Christian Bale
Height: 6’0”
Roles: Robin the Luggage Boy in Henry V, Laurie in Little Women, Patrick Bateman in American Psycho, Bruce Wayne/Batman in the Dark Knight Trilogy, Dan Evans in 3:10 to Yuma,
christian-bale-14.jpg

christian-bale-759.jpg

rs_634x1024-130702110310-634.CBale.310toYuma.mh.070213.jpg

Christian Bale
Height: 6’0”
Roles: Robin the Luggage Boy in Henry V, Laurie in Little Women, Patrick Bateman in American Psycho, Bruce Wayne/Batman in the Dark Knight Trilogy, Dan Evans in 3:10 to Yuma,
christian-bale-14.jpg

christian-bale-759.jpg

rs_634x1024-130702110310-634.CBale.310toYuma.mh.070213.jpg
I really like Christian Bale, he’s fantastic. But I think it would be a waste to give him such a small role.

He is a good actor. Though aren’t House of Beor a somewhat darker skinned group?

He is a good actor. Though aren’t House of Beor a somewhat darker skinned group?
Possibly or at least they mostly have darker hair. “Mediterranean” is the vague keyword. I agree that his looks make him less of a favourite.

Back