Beasts

I think it would fit very well with this illustration of Huan by Catherine Karina Chmiel:
'The Leap of Beren'
skok_Berena_0.lightbox.jpg

http://kasiopea.art.pl/en/home

Last edited:
Not sure where to put this -- we discussed, briefly, whether or not we should see puppy!Huan, and I think we rather firmly decided no. But how old should Celegorm be when he gets Huan? Could we set up Huan almost as a father figure, or at least a big brother, for Celegorm? If he's a young (pre)teen when he forms his bond with Huan, doesn't that make the breaking all the worse than if he's fully grown?

EDIT: inspired by these pictures

celegorm_and_huan_by_rebeccaclarence-d954vd1.png
3l1bC_S_INA.jpg

Not sure where to put this -- we discussed, briefly, whether or not we should see puppy!Huan, and I think we rather firmly decided no. But how old should Celegorm be when he gets Huan? Could we set up Huan almost as a father figure, or at least a big brother, for Celegorm? If he's a young (pre)teen when he forms his bond with Huan, doesn't that make the breaking all the worse than if he's fully grown?

EDIT: inspired by these pictures

celegorm_and_huan_by_rebeccaclarence-d954vd1.png
3l1bC_S_INA.jpg
I love that idea!

Or just indicate that he's had Huan at his side for a long time. We don't actually have to see little Celegorm and Huan, as adorable as that would be. Just establish him as a "childhood companion".

I really like the Idea of using some prehistoric beasts, at least for inspiration. There could be some hints for that in the source material... great Boars, great Ravens, Fell Beasts/Nazgul-Steeds and other enlarged Animals... the concept of enlarged Beasts could also be used for insects (Glow-worms, Butterflies...)

and I love the Idea of Huan as a great irish Wolf-Hound!

However I always imagined the Elven-Steeds as great and slender Horse-Types... maybe like great Arabs.

Should we consider adding more mythological creatures into the mix, to serve as posses and grunts for the baddies? I would love, for example, for Thuringwethil to have a manananggal (a Phillipino monster) or two in her service:

latest

3l1bC_S_INA.jpg

As of now....

Celegorm is introduced as a child who loves animals in Episode 8 (the Trial of Melkor) of Season 2, which has some minor scenes with Finwë's older grandsons in the city of the Vanyar. There was no talk of having Huan there.

Celegorm, Curufin and (14-yr-old) Aredhel go hunting with Huan in Episode 9 (the Silmarils). So, we are introducing a full-grown Celegorm when we first see his relationship with Oromë and Huan, it looks like. From this point on, if Celegorm is on screen, Huan is nearby.

So....what kind of spider is Ungoliant?

We obviously are going to have her grow and change form in Episode 13 of Season 2, so we don't have to stick strictly to one image, but I think we should have a base spider species as a starting point.

Hairy tarantula (bird spider)?
Harpactira%20sp.3%2C%20female%2C%20Republic%20of%20South%20Africa.jpg

Something more obviously poisonous (black widow markings)?
black-widow-spider.jpg

Film!Shelob, ie, the New Zealand Tunnel Web:
Shelobpj.jpg

...OR?

The one advantage of spider forms is that they easily appear bloated, which should help with the swelling size of Ungoliant. We could even show her molt after the attack on the trees, and emerge as a more monstrous form.

Of course, there is the temptation to choose a South African tarantula, simply because we know Tolkien was bit by one as a very young child.

My one request is that we not give Ungoliant any kind of abdominal stinger. Spiders don't have those, and when Tolkien used the word 'sting' he was referring to a spider bite.

I don't have my Tolkien library with me right now but as I remember, Tolkien mentions the 'beak' of Shelob a few times as a feature that is really scary. The chosen spider should have one of those, whatever that is. (To me 'beak' doesn't sound like something a spider has, but then English isn't my first language.)

The sting they gave Shelob in the film was likely because they may have had trouble figuring out a way to deliver her venom by her fangs alone.

As to spider "beaks" ... There is the camel spider. True, it's not really a spider, but Ungoliant could at least have the mouth parts of one, no?

tumblr_lpsjijEroN1qc2w0eo1_500.jpg

The sting they gave Shelob in the film was likely because they may have had trouble figuring out a way to deliver her venom by her fangs alone.

As to spider "beaks" ... There is the camel spider. True, it's not really a spider, but Ungoliant could at least have the mouth parts of one, no?

tumblr_lpsjijEroN1qc2w0eo1_500.jpg
And wasn't a sting part of Shelob's description in the book?

Back