Beleriand - Places

Haerangil

I tried to create an RPG map with all relevant Places of Beleriand on it:

there are quite a lot of Places in the Book which are mentioned, but do not appear on most maps i know... Brodda's Hall, the Feanorian Campf, Angrod's Fortress, the Easterling Settlements in the Blue Mountains and many smaller settlements...

Last edited:
I'm sorry.. I can't see anything on that map... Does it have a lot more places than this one?
beleriand_map.jpg

I tried to create an RPG map with all relevant Places of Beleriand on it:

there are quite a lot of Places in the Book which are mentioned, but do not appear on most maps i know... Brodda's Hall, the Feanorian Campf, Angrod's Fortress, the Easterling Settlements in the Blue Mountains and many smaller settlements...
I think the Hills of mithrim is between the land of Mithrim and Dor-Lómin and not between Mithrim and the lake.
Húrin lives in Dor-Lómin and not in Mithrim. I guess Brodda's hall is not on the maps because it's so close to Húrin's house.
Eithel Barad at Eithel Sirion was the main fortress of Hithlum and the seat of Fingolfin and Fingon.
I've always thought Angrod and Aegnor had one castles together.
Amrod and Amras lived om the wide plains of eastern Beleriand, west of Gelion, not in Thargelion. Maybe they lived on Amon Ereb. After Dagor Bragollach Caranthir fortified it and after Nirnaeth Arnoediad Maedhros, Maglor, Celegorm and Curufin withdrew there.
Amrod and Amras didn't fortify it because it was during the Siege of Angband and Amon Ereb is so far away from Angband.
Estolad should be located further West on your map, directly south of Nan Elmoth along Celon. Where you have placed Estolad is part of the territory of Amrod and Amras.

I think the Hills of mithrim is between the land of Mithrim and Dor-Lómin and not between Mithrim and the lake.

right!

Húrin lives in Dor-Lómin and not in Mithrim. I guess Brodda's hall is not on the maps because it's so close to Húrin's house.

"In the Tale of Turambar it is clear that the house of Mavwin was not
imagined as standing near to the hills or mountains that formed the
barrier between Hithlum and the Lands Beyond: Turin was told that
never did Orcs 'come hither deep into the land of Hisilome', in contrast to
the Narn (p. 68), where 'Hurin's house stood in the south-east of Dorlomin,
and the mountains were near; Nen Lalaith indeed came down
from a spring under the shadow of Amon Darthir, over whose shoulder
there was a steep pass'."

So I guess i shall place Hurin#s House in a vale of Southeastern dor-lomin and Maevins and Broddas Houses next to it...

Eithel Barad at Eithel Sirion was the main fortress of Hithlum and the seat of Fingolfin and Fingon.

that's true... but Feanors, Fingolfin's and Finarfin's camp, sall in the Area of Lake mithrim are mentioned in the text...
i'd also vote for an additional Watch or fortification in the Mountains of Northeastern Dor-Lómin.

I've always thought Angrod and Aegnor had one castles together.

"territory of the other sons of Finrod (Finarfin),
Orodreth, Angrod, and Egnor, is now set in the pineclad highlands
which afterwards were Taur-na-Fuin."

"Angrod and
Egnor held the northern slopes of Dorthanion, as far as Aglon
where the sons of Feanor lay."

So I guess it's secure to think of one fortress (though i'd like to think of Two-Towers...) , and i shall put it on the north-central slopes of Dor-Lomin, watching over the Plains north.

Amrod and Amras lived om the wide plains of eastern Beleriand, west of Gelion, not in Thargelion. Maybe they lived on Amon Ereb. After Dagor Bragollach Caranthir fortified it and after Nirnaeth Arnoediad Maedhros, Maglor, Celegorm and Curufin withdrew there.
Amrod and Amras didn't fortify it because it was during the Siege of Angband and Amon Ereb is so far away from Angband.

"Now the Dwarfroad
to Nogrod and Belegost in the Blue Mountains passed
through East Beleriand and the woods about the River
Ascar,(3) where aforetime were the hunting grounds of
Damrod and Diriel, sons of Feanor."

So i guess they did rule, both, the plains of eastern Beleriand and the Woodlands east of Ascar as well...
as they were Hunters I'd rather like to place their Hall in the forests and a second Watch in the central plains... but both south of the Darf-road, not north on it like i did on my map.

Estolad should be located further West on your map, directly south of Nan Elmoth along Celon. Where you have placed Estolad is part of the territory of Amrod and Amras

I believe Estolad is a far wider region... i think it might refer to all the plains between southern Celon and Thargelion, but I put the camps roughly in the area Karen Wynn Fonstad proposed as points of her maps of the Edain migration in Beleriand, so I'll leve them as they are.

formidable sir! You surely know your Beleriand geography...

Last edited:
"Now the Dwarfroad
to Nogrod and Belegost in the Blue Mountains passed
through East Beleriand and the woods about the River
Ascar,(3) where aforetime were the hunting grounds of
Damrod and Diriel, sons of Feanor."

So i guess they did rule, both, the plains of eastern Beleriand and the Woodlands east of Ascar as well...
as they were Hunters I'd rather like to place their Hall in the forests and a second Watch in the central plains... but both south of the Darf-road, not north on it like i did on ky map.
In the quote you referred to Ascar was emended to Flend and then to Gelion in a footnote. So the hunting grounds is near Gelion and not Ascar.
I'm currently reading the Shaping of Middle-earth :p

In the quote you referred to Ascar was emended to Flend and then to Gelion in a footnote. So the hunting grounds is near Gelion and not Ascar.
I'm currently reading the Shaping of Middle-earth :p

Ascar > Flend > Gelion at the first two occurrences, but left unchanged
at the third.

So we actually can fight about this one... if the Gelion was meant, then my first placing of Amrod and Amras may be acceptable.

Back