Beorn/Grimbeorn

Ange1e4e5

Beorn is a Skin-Changer, a man who can transform into a bear. A large (8'0"), tough, taciturn, rough-hewn man (even more than Bard). The Hosts have suggested killing him off (not out of the realm of possibility since Beorn's death date is merely said to be between 2941 T.A. (The Hobbit) and 2018 T.A. (where most of the events of The Fellowship of the Ring take place), so this could also be his son Grimbeorn, who is active during the War of the Ring.

Hafthor Julius Bjornsson
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5485781/
Height: 6'9"
Roles: Gregor "The Mountain that Rides" Clegane in Game of Thrones
Currently the reigning Strongest Man in the World

f88a0623e134c5e6d47d32a7272af221.jpg

48600775630360171384dec4b987d231.jpg

Realistically, we'll want to use some forced perspective to make Beorn appear taller than everyone else on screen. So, he should be a big man, certainly, but no need for him to actually be 8' tall.

Also, while I am not a fan of applying latex to actors' faces (it's much tougher to act through a mask), Beorn would be a case where I'm willing to make an exception. He's meant to be someone who changes into a bear; he doesn't have to look *fully* human in human form.

All that being said...I'm not sure we'll have any reason to introduce Beorn yet this season.

I am gonna come right out and say that I'm against trying to drag Beorn or his representatives to this. The fewer details we are forced to explain about the events in The Hobbit, the better.

Prediction: a third of the characters suggested for the frame will have little or no relevance for the frame story, and we won’t include them.

Yes, in attempting to discuss the Frame, we keep adding more characters to it. We'll do what we can, but we can't/won't include them all, simply because they have to both fit AND serve the greater story of that particular episode.

So far, Episode 1 has Bilbo, Gandalf, and Balin.
Episode 2 will likely attempt to bring in Dís.
Episode 3 will probably get us to Dale, and we'll have to introduce Bard's family.
That leaves the next 10 episodes to work in everyone else, including Dain and Thranduil.

While I have nothing against Beorn (or Grimbeorn) as characters, I don't see the need to include them in this season's frame, so...unless we get to a point where a scene would be *perfect* for Beorn, I have no intention of trying to force him into the Frame.

We'll just have to have a behind-the-scenes conceit that Radagast, Galadriel, and anyone else we don't bother including are all busy partying at Beorn's house while this is going on, and that's why we don't get to see them in Dale :p

Yes, in attempting to discuss the Frame, we keep adding more characters to it. We'll do what we can, but we can't/won't include them all, simply because they have to both fit AND serve the greater story of that particular episode.

So far, Episode 1 has Bilbo, Gandalf, and Balin.
Episode 2 will likely attempt to bring in Dís.
Episode 3 will probably get us to Dale, and we'll have to introduce Bard's family.
That leaves the next 10 episodes to work in everyone else, including Dain and Thranduil.

While I have nothing against Beorn (or Grimbeorn) as characters, I don't see the need to include them in this season's frame, so...unless we get to a point where a scene would be *perfect* for Beorn, I have no intention of trying to force him into the Frame.

We'll just have to have a behind-the-scenes conceit that Radagast, Galadriel, and anyone else we don't bother including are all busy partying at Beorn's house while this is going on, and that's why we don't get to see them in Dale :p
So creating this thread was completely pointless?

Well, we'll eventually need Beorn, but considering he was a 'maybe' for the Season 4 frame, which already has a rather impressive character list...we likely don't need him yet. Realistically, we can introduce 7-8 named characters in the Frame over the course of a single season without 'forcing' them in. This includes very minor roles that only appear in a single episode. We've typically flashed back to one dead character, if necessary, during the Frame, so we might even need a scene with Thorin at some point. I'd be more inclined to work in a flashback of Dís discussing whether or not Fili and Kili would be allowed to go on the Quest for Erebor with her brother Thorin, and his promises to look out for them and keep them safe....then I would be to try to work in Beorn. Because Thorin is quite central to the conflict in the Frame, whereas Beorn...is not.

Season 1 had the following Frame characters:
Gilraen, Arathorn, Elrond, Estel, Elladan, Elrohir, Bilbo, Gandalf, and various other dwarves/elves (some of whom may even have had names).

Season 2 had:
Arwen, Celeborn, Galadriel, Celebrían, Elladan, Elrohir, Arwen's friend (Irien?), various other elves, woodsmen

Season 3 had:
Elrond, Gilraen, Estel, Elladan, Elrohir, Halbarad, Hamilcar, various other rangers, Butterbur

Season 4 has:
Bilbo, Gandalf, Balin, Dís, Bard, Bard's wife, Bain, Thranduil, Legolas, Celeborn's sister, Dain, Roac, various elves, dwarves and men, and...?

As of right now, no. He would only appear in flashback in the Frame, and we'd probably rather avoid that. But we develop the Frame story as we go, so hard to say for sure.

My point was that we haven't talked about including him, since he's dead, but he would be a more relevant character to consider than Beorn.

Back