Beren

Tom Hardy is my top pick for Beren also. Don’t think he’s been cast elsewhere in the series

Maybe? I guess a picture Barahir as more of an older patriarch. Even if he is a younger Barahir then aged up, Beren would need to be a lot younger to be believably his kid

I'm with you but I guess if you look at how old he'll be when we see him, we want an actor who is 30-40 years old, which is what Diego Luna is (well, actually older). Beren will be 23 at the time of Dagor Bragollach, and 32 when he meets Luthien, so we want someone slightly younger.

Diego Luna is a man who is not showing his 41 years of age lol

I'm with you but I guess if you look at how old he'll be when we see him, we want an actor who is 30-40 years old, which is what Diego Luna is (well, actually older). Beren will be 23 at the time of Dagor Bragollach, and 32 when he meets Luthien, so we want someone slightly younger.
How young are we talking for a Beren actor, Tom Holland (born in 1996)?

It really depends on what we want from that character. I am worried the casting is leaning more toward what stacks up against the chronology of Tolkien's works rather than what lends itself to the best story-telling. I mean, there is something very interesting about portraying a very young Beren during a bloody war and seeing that violence as a young man. But I think it is also vital that when he meets Luthien he needs to have had time (I guess wandering the wilderness) to have grown

I guess what I'm saying is, there's probably a Beren out there who is around 30 and yet looks like he's been through rough times. We should keep looking with good hope of finding someone.

So it's struck me we have cast a man in his mid-40s to play Barahir. Obviously his age can be indeterminate and I think a weathered Santiago Cabrera could pass for 50s at a push. Jessica Brown Findlay wonderfully cast as Luthien is is early thirties. So I think an early 30s Beren makes sense to be Santiago's son timeline wise, which was always the intention. I guess we just have to make sure our rugged Beren is obviously a younger man so as to not look too close to his father's age, as that always comes across odd in films. Gotta say, I visually like Lorenzo above for the 'look' of Beren but have never seen him act.

Stuggling to find any actors I like for the role at the moment.

I agree that it’s not exactly easy. Lately, I have been looking for a Beren who is somewhere between 20 and 25. Maybe he could be a little older than that, but as you say, he has to look young enough to be believable as Barahir’s son. I’m not convinced Lorenzo is our guy.

I agree that it’s not exactly easy. Lately, I have been looking for a Beren who is somewhere between 20 and 25. Maybe he could be a little older than that, but as you say, he has to look young enough to be believable as Barahir’s son. I’m not convinced Lorenzo is our guy.

I don't think he should be too 'fresh-faced' though. He also shouldn't look significantly younger than JBF either. If anything, should ought to feel more youthful than he I feel.

Beren also is described as extremely rugged, he already has grey hair and possibly looks older than his age... then again... in agreement with modern day looks and what audiences are accustumed to...perhaps we take that not too historically correct?

Last edited:
Back