Beren

Could not, as othewise Elrond and Arwen would never have inherited it. Nor Aragorn, Denethor, Boromir and Faramir - who in the book are all still dark-haired - even after circa 65 generations. Luthien's hair is as dominat a trait as dominant ever gets.

As such Beren can be as light as we ever want- it will all be covered in future by Luthien's own uncorruptable eternally dark-shadowy hair colour anyway.

And no, will not do here, Dior better be "drop dead gorgeous". How many kings in Tolkien's history are called "the Fair" even among the elves?

Will try to remember that if we ever cast Dior in three years or so...

Will try to remember that if we ever cast Dior in three years or so...

Young Dior would be due to appear next season already?

In the original timeline Dior is born 3 years after Luthien's 1st death and if we add in the 4 years saved in Dorthonion then it would make 7 years from now. Dior is already 3 when Túrin arrives in Doriath aged 9 and Nienor is born. Thingol is an already established grandfather when Túrin arrives in Doriath.

I more meant because he’s not the slightly non-specific profile we’ve cast for the House of Beor which is intended to be Hispanic/Mediterranean in appearance. Thinking of our canon as opposed to books

Looking at my pics of Barahir and Emeldir i think the actors are just fine.Matt Long is a bit too m6ch beau for my taste that's all...

I more meant because he’s not the slightly non-specific profile we’ve cast for the House of Beor which is intended to be Hispanic/Mediterranean in appearance. Thinking of our canon as opposed to books

Many Mediterranean can be quite blonde, too, you had there the Visigoths and Langobards etc. and e.g. the Slavic influences in Greece. So it not unusual to have some brighter-haired people mixed in there too.

Spanish singer David Bisbal could be an example of a clearly Mediterranean look combined with lighter hair, especially in his youth.

Last edited:
He's not even blonde i think...
Give him a bit of a tan, some longer wilder hair, a beard, some few grey strokes and maybe a bit dirt and he'd be fine.

He's not even blonde i think...
Give him a bit of a tan, some longer wilder hair, a beard, some few grey strokes and maybe a bit dirt and he'd be fine.

Of course. But Tuor should be blond and as we are not suggesting a "de novo" - mutation for him, we would need to have some people on the lighter end of the hair-shades-continuum too in his original ancestral population...

Last edited:
Of course. But Tuor should be blonde and as we are not suggesting a "de novo" - mutation for him, we would need to have some people on the lighter end of the hair-shades-continuum too in his original ancestral population...
Wouldn't Tuor get his blond coloring from his father Huor?

It wasn’t the hair, it was the fact that my understanding was we were casting primarily Lantinx actors. Although I suppose that was thrown off when we cast Alfred Molina so it’s possible I didn’t understood the assignment.

Last edited:
Hmm... i never understood that as an exclusive, more like a general orientation.I'd cast a mediterranean actor as a Rohir or Vanya if he'd fit the look...

Tuor's mother shouldn't be black or redhaired, otherwise his blond is all fine.She still can be brown haired or even strawberry...

Last edited:
Wouldn't Tuor get his blond coloring from his father Huor?

If he is lighter-haired than his father then his mother - even if dark-haired herself - must have had some lighter-haired ancestors.
Otherwise her darker genes would cover the lighter tones that he got from his father. The colour adds up from both sides and dark partially covers light.

The issue is not the general rule but that we need some outlier here and there to show a natural range of variability.
Not a variability as great like e.g. in RoP where we were asked to believe that a fairly small isolationist population has somehow not homogenized when on its own for at least 1000 years, but some believable variability as usually seen in not completely isolated populations.

Last edited:
Yes, Rían can be brown- haired or blond, as long as she is not too dark haired. Since we are aiming for Lalaith parallels, we may want to have Rían be blond as a young child, darkening to brown over time (though that is a decision for Season 7).

And Rían's mother could be the fair/blond one, while her father is darker haired. But. There is going to be SOME variety among the House of Bëor, and making Belegund one of the outlaws with lighter coloration should be fine. It would help the audience differentiate the two brothers.

As for the specific actor suggested - he's born in Kentucky, but I am not familiar with his family background.

But it is true that we have guidelines for the House of Bëor, and we are trying to stick to them. Mediterranean, mostly dark hair, some blond was the guideline, if I recall correctly.

Giuseppe Bausilio

This Swiss actor is in his mid-20s and has a strong musical theater background. To throw one more name into the mix. I haven't seen his work, but he has been in movies and looks the part. From what I can tell, 'Ode to Passion' has all dialogue written in verse - he's the romantic lead in that. So...more typical of a stage production than a movie.

Giuseppe Bausilio

This Swiss actor is in his mid-20s and has a strong musical theater background. To throw one more name into the mix. I haven't seen his work, but he has been in movies and looks the part. From what I can tell, 'Ode to Passion' has all dialogue written in verse - he's the romantic lead in that. So...more typical of a stage production than a movie.
What's his height, could he work for Túrin?

I think he's on the shorter side. Internet claims 5′ 7½″ (1.71 m)

It wasn’t the hair, it was the fact that my understanding was we were casting primarily Lantinx actors. Although I suppose that was thrown off when we cast Alfred Molina so it’s possible I didn’t understand the assignment.

Alfred Molina was born in London. His mother was born in Italy and his father was born in Spain. So, he is certainly of a Mediterranean background.
My understanding is that Mediterranean (broadly interpretted) includes: Latino, Spanish, Italian, Greek, Israeli, Egyptian, Lebanese, Moroccan, etc

If I thought there were a role for 48-year-old Enzo Cilenti this season, I wouldn't hesitate to nominate him to play someone from the House of Bëor...being born in Yorkshire doesn't disqualify him.

Back