Beren

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
Beren is a nobleman of the House of Bëor who is in exile as a member of his father’s band of outlaws. One of the outlaws betrays them, and Beren – the only survivor – strays into Doriath and there first sees Lúthien. He's around 30 years old. We want him to look like he's lived a rather rough life. He needs to have a Mediterranean look, being of the House of Bëor.

Here's the old thread with various ideas: OLD BEREN THREAD

I want to suggest Italian actor Alessio Lapice IMDb
He is 30 years old.
1641295857110.png1641295903112.png1641295887966.png

I like it as he definitely is what springs to me when I think ‘Beren’. I’m trying to think of some more left field options for balance but they keep coming up to close to Santiago Cabrera (Barahir)’s age. Michael Mando was a thought but he’s only like 2 years younger lol

David Alvarez

Height: 6'
West Side Story - He was absolutely fantastic as Bernardo. He definitely has leading man potential. Could so easily be Beren.

View attachment 4140 View attachment 4141 View attachment 4142

I haven't seen him in action but I definitely like to see a Beren who can sing since he needs to sing the song for Luthien when he leaves her to go to Angband

I understand the "oops, too old" challenge!

1673113593266.png

Matt Long is 42, but could definitely pass for being in his 30's. Still, he's too old for Beren, I think. He most recently played Zeke on Manifest (see photo) His character is a recovering drug addict who feels guilty about the death of his sister when they were teens. So, not a lot of overlap with Beren- Zeke lacks confidence, and is often hunched in on himself. But his character is a scruffy-looking love interest, so the wonder of someone granting you an unexpected chance is very much present.

I understand the "oops, too old" challenge!

View attachment 4639

Matt Long is 42, but could definitely pass for being in his 30's. Still, he's too old for Beren, I think. He most recently played Zeke on Manifest (see photo) His character is a recovering drug addict who feels guilty about the death of his sister when they were teens. So, not a lot of overlap with Beren- Zeke lacks confidence, and is often hunched in on himself. But his character is a scruffy-looking love interest, so the wonder of someone granting you an unexpected chance is very much present.

Would he do for Baragund or Belegund?

Beren is 34, but he already has some grey hair and looks far older... no problem to cast an actor older than 34. I tjink Beren shouldn't look too much beau...

In Silm Film, Beren is not 34 years old in Season 6.

Beren is 23 years old at the time of the Dagor Bragollach, and 28 years old when the outlaws are killed. We then send him directly to Doriath (no time as a lone outlaw in Dorthonion), so a year to hang out with Lúthien and a year or so for the quest puts him at about 30 or 31 when he is killed by Carcaroth.

Beren is meant to be seen by the audience as a young adult man, so I do not think we want a 40+ actor in this role.

Well... okay.
There does come a point where Dawson Casting can only go so far. Perhaps one of the more egregious examples of this is the 1936 adaptation of Romeo and Juliet which featured Leslie Howard and Norma Shearer as the titular couple who are in their teens. Both actors were in their thirties/forties and since the story is supposed to be about youthful follies leading to terrible ends, having an older couple makes it look/sound a little awkward.

Another one is the two Percy Jackson films in the early 2010s. One of my mom's biggest complains about the film was that the dialogue appeared to have been written for younger characters (two of the main characters are pre-teens) who were portrayed by actors who were several years to over a decade older (Alexandra Daddario for example was 24 playing a 16-year-old who'd been bumped up from 12). And a couple of the main trio were playing adults in other movies.

Last edited:
Belegund's grandson Tuor is going to be blond, so I wouldn't mind someone like Matt Long for him. Tolkien does describe Beren as having light brown hair, but it is okay for his son Dior to inherit Lúthien's shadow-dark hair. So, yes, Beren can look very typical of the House of Bëor. We even have characters commenting on how he looks a lot like various ancestors.

Belegund's grandson Tuor is going to be blond, so I wouldn't mind someone like Matt Long for him. Tolkien does describe Beren as having light brown hair, but it is okay for his son Dior to inherit Lúthien's shadow-dark hair. So, yes, Beren can look very typical of the House of Bëor. We even have characters commenting on how he looks a lot like various ancestors.

Was Dior not called "the Fair" because he took after his mother and was amongt the fairest beings that ever lived? Then he for sure had inherited little from his father.

Do you mean he had no beard , always looked young and a bit feminine? Elven hair color is crazy, if Luthien is the shadow-black haired dauchter of a silver-haired father i'd think Dior is most likely also shadow-haired, though he could be dark brown like his dad...

Do you mean he had no beard , always looked young and a bit feminine? Elven hair color is crazy, if Luthien is the shadow-black haired dauchter of a silver-haired father i'd think Dior is most likely also shadow-haired, though he could be dark brown like his dad...

Could not, as othewise Elrond and Arwen would never have inherited it. Nor Aragorn, Denethor, Boromir and Faramir - who in the book are all still dark-haired - even after circa 65 generations. Luthien's hair is as dominat a trait as dominant ever gets.

As such Beren can be as light as we ever want- it will all be covered in future by Luthien's own uncorruptable eternally dark-shadowy hair colour anyway.

And no,
had no beard , always looked young and a bit feminine?
will not do here, Dior better be "drop dead gorgeous". How many kings in Tolkien's history are called "the Fair" even among the elves?

Last edited:
Back