Bilbo's Farewell Song

Aspen Convallin

I missed class again (forgot again.). So here are my random thoughts on the last stanza and our finale.

Regress to stanza 5, like Dr. O did: He could have written something that ended with "see" in keeping with the previous rhyme scheme but he didn't - he used "know". Why? The "know" is a kind of transposed rhyme of "how" in stanza 3: "how the world" compared to "world that (I shall never) know". So that is why, I think, mixed with his love of using words with multiple meanings in each way they mean (see) - AND, in this case, contrasting it with a synonym (know). Of course, he shall neither ever see (visually) nor never know (understand, be cognizant of, apprehend). Aside: In different languages there are more words for the different types of knowing, yes?

Stanza 6: Dr. O was noticing how the word "I" had changed position. Not only that but in stanza 6 it switches from being ON the beat to the UNSTRESSED beat.
It's interesting that Bilbo switches from visualizing to audiolizing (not a real word but you know what I mean, yes?). You can often choose to visualize, which is easier if you close your eyes - which you also do to NOT see. But it is difficult to close your ears, even when you're asleep.

The whole: yes only three words of three syllables: butterflies, gossamer, and returning - the butterflies flying through the semi-transparent future to return.

The whole poem is full of reflective, reversing/mirrored structures highlighting the same in thought and meaning.

In context:

What influence does being surrounded by long-lived individuals have on Bilbo's reflections and our understanding of the poem? I have no thoughts on this.

I initially also thought Bilbo may have made up part of the poem on the spot but considering the context further, I think it unlikely. Yes, he often had the ending for something and just had to work out some bits in the middle but I think here he had it all worked out because he had a plan to sing this song as another going-away present for Frodo. The visual of Bilbo standing looking out the window singing or sitting beside the fire thinking while awaiting Frodo's return was the gift. Prof. Tolkien was undoubtedly very familiar with the goodbyes of those left behind at home to those heading off to war, perhaps never to return. So rather than saying any goodbyes or well-wishes, Bilbo gives Frodo this vision of himself waiting with the intent that Frodo can recall it and find some motivation in it like a mental phial of the light of Eärendil.

And what is Bilbo visualizing? All the different greens. It's as if Bilbo is saying he knows Frodo is going to have a very difficult journey to a very dark place, both physically - the burnt landscape of a volcano where there is no green, and spiritually - the weight of the ring on his mind. So Bilbo tries to implant a very basic visual in Frodo's head, so if Frodo is in such a dark place that he cannot recall even Bilbo sitting thinking, at least he might HEAR Bilbo singing or at least picture all the different greens of future springs.

What a sweet and powerful message. I am overwhelmed with comfort and wonder every time I read it.

What influence does being surrounded by long-lived individuals have on Bilbo's reflections and our understanding of the poem? I have no thoughts on this.

I think the whole tone of the first four verses comes from Bilbo's time in Rivendell. He is able to look at his life as part of something else, a small part of the history of the world, which was there long before he was born and will exist long after he is dead. Living among elves who are thousands of years old, seeing how they experience time, has expanded his view of life and given him a sense of the continuity of the world that I don't think he could have had before. That's another reason the last verse is such a reversal - he populates the world in verse 5, and in verse six he is solidly in the present - he is once again in a finite world of mortals, waiting anxiously for the return of those who are leaving today to go into danger.

Back