Boromir and Bilbo?

Flammifer

After the Council of Elrond, Boromir, though frustrated at the mysterious delay in leaving Rivendell, determines to make the most of this time by gaining all the information he can from the people around.

One of his chief targets is Bilbo. Possibly fairly objective and less ‘political’. A Mortal in the world of Elves. Should be able to offer a good perspective on Aragorn, Elrond, Gandalf, and Frodo.

Astutely, Boromir has prepared himself for this conversation by pumping (rather easily) Merry and Pippin for all they know.

“Master Baggins,” says Boromir, having tracked Bilbo down, “you are a scholar and a poet of renown, I wonder if you could please help me better understand the poem from my Dream?”

Delighted, Bilbo launches into an energetic discussion of the poem. The meter is examined in detail. After much ‘A,B,A’ and ‘C,D,C’ing, considerable counting of syllables, they agree that the seemingly regular and predictable meter is, in fact, of stunning complexity and originality.

The rhyme scheme is dissected with care. Again, what at first glance looked a totally conventional rhyme pattern, is found to be subtly and intriguingly irregular.

Alliteration is carefully analyzed, but eventually determined to be relevant, but of relatively lesser importance in this poem.

Syntax is studied seriously and enjambment between lines 3 and 4, and lines 5 and 6 agreed to be significant.

A lengthy discussion revolves around whether the ‘hinge’ of the poem should be determined as ‘Stronger than Morgul-spells’ or ‘That Doom is near at hand’.

Having come to the conclusion that the ‘Doom’ line is the hinge, Boromir and Bilbo discuss in detail the possible meanings of the word ‘Doom’.

Having now spent 5 hours in interesting analysis with Bilbo, Boromir decides to attempt a segue into some of the information he is seeking.

“Excellent, Bilbo,” said Boromir. “But what do you make of the words ‘near at hand’? I read that as ‘soon’, and wonder why we delay in setting off from Rivendell?”

“Well, Boromir,” replied Bilbo, “perhaps Elrond feels that Christmas would be an auspicious day for the expedition to depart.”

“Christmas?”

“I asked him about that once, and he said it was a ‘futureversary’. I think that means he has foreknowledge that that date will be extremely significant sometime in the future. But, Boromir, ‘soon’ is not the only possible reading of ‘near at hand’.”

Last edited:
Back